97 KDX 220 Rebuild & Update done!

Gerg

May 7, 2002
It started out innocently enough, 'Gee, I think I'll check the bearings before riding season gets here.' It ended with all new bearing front to back, new pipe & silencer, top-end rebuild, and a new color scheme top to bottom. (I hate the purple!)

So, the list is like this:
Fredette set-up video, sandblast & powdercoat frame & swingarm, new Pivot Works bearing kits (wheels, swingarm, steering, shock, etc.) new CEET gripper seat cover, Wiseco piston kit & torque ring from Fredette Racing, new FMF Woods pipe & Turbine II silencer, new fork boots (black!), new brake pads, new 520 O-ring chain from Moose, new IMF footpegs, One Industries graphics kit, UFO headlight & bar brace from Fredette and a new computer from Trail Tech. Little bit of the new Krylon Fusion paint on the tank, and away we go!

I never expected to get this deep into a project, but oh well, I couldn't ride yet anyway! Break-in starts tomorrow morning!

Start to finish (more or less) photos are here: http://homepage.mac.com/gerg7836/PhotoAlbum7.html

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
How do you think the paint will hold up on the tank? Or will you just keep applying more as it bubbles/peels (if it will?). Very cool rebuild!

Gerg

May 7, 2002
I think the paint will hold up pretty well! It went on awfully nice, and seems like a real thick, durable coat. I think since it's on the fuel tank, it'll have more problems than, say, a radiator shroud that gets painted, but I think only time will tell. I'll have a better feel for it after a few weekends of riding/fueling/cleaning, and will report back. I hope the Krylon paint lives up to their boasts.

The CEET cover came from Dennis Kirk and cost about $55. I got the info from CEET's website, but wish I had ordered the one that had a little bit of green toward the rear. This one's all black, and looks great, but I think that little bit of green would have looked better. The pipe is an FMF Woods (Gnarly?) pipe. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the Moose aluminum pipe guard I bought bent well enough to go around that fat pipe. I e-mailed Moose, and the answer I got was (more or less) just do it! Just hammer away at it until you get it right! Anybody else have any experience getting one of these molded properly?

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Very nice job. My used 97 came with most of those same mods including the pipe gaurd. The black tank and powder coating put it over the top. Now I know what it used to look like.

Top Bottom