chris82785

Jun 8, 2003
So that's what I got -and the engine's toast, not just top end, lower end as well, looks like the crank is bent/bearings are so wasted that the journal is hitting the case.

I'm kinda trying to decide if I want to attempt this myself or send it to gorr's. Right now I'm trying to put myself through college (have been for the last two years as well thats why the bike's been sittin) and dont know if I want to attempt it. I've rebuilt plenty of 4 stroke engines but this will be my first attempt at a 2 stroke....but I want, need, to ride next summer...I can't go without it any longer.

So for those of you who have sent your stuff to gorr, how much $$ can I expect for a total rebuild - because thats the main hamper right now. With 20 credits this semester I'd rather let someone else play with it.....but I dont know if I can afford that, and if I can't, I'm going to attempt the rebuild

J-fryz

Sep 10, 2005
very good question

I am in the same position you are, I have a 99 rm 125 that needs rebuilt because the connecting rod is froze to the crank, i got a few estimates around here at they were all in the upwards of 500.00 i know nobody has replied to your question but i was wondering what you did, if you tore into it yourself or if you decided to wait and have it done professionally?

chris82785

Jun 8, 2003
Ah, atleast someone "replied" :nener:
Well, I'm highly considering tearing into it myself....it's just the hassle and trying to get the parts that I dont want to deal with. That's why I was wondering about a price for eric gorr.

I'm an ASE master mechanic, so I'm 100% confident I could rebuild the thing (heck, I've done auto trans, manual trans, and engines for cars - this can't be that hard). But the problem lies with the fact that I dont have the "specialty" tools like a case splitter, and that I've got a ton of crap going on

But, I think that I'm gonna tear into it myself.....I'm just curious as to how much it's gonna cost parts wise. If I can get away with less than 800 then I'd be good, but since the cylinder may need to be resleaved I dunno...

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
If you are experienced enough to do the rebuild yourself , just go for it.
Parts dont cost much in your part of the world , complete cranks and cylinders are much , much cheaper than over here.
Normally I would say just get a used cylinder off THAT auction site , but the Kawas before 00 , or 01 , used their own kind of plating , which was less durable than the others.
Maybe you can get a cheap 133 kit from Eric Gorr , or he can supply you with a fresh plated cylinder.
Be sure to inspect every gearwheel ,and all the bearings in the gearbox , while you are in there .
You will have a good , reliable bike for a season or 2 afterwards.

NacNac250F

Apr 15, 2003
If you've rebuilt four-strokes the two stroke is cake. You can just buy a rod and new main bearings that will be much cheaper than a new crank. If your cylinder is fine then your not looking at to much money, just a lot of time. You will have to bring the crank somewhere to get it pressed apart and trued when you get the new rod put on.

chris82785

Jun 8, 2003
It needs a crank....maybe a case half. Thats the thing, the crank is bent, or the bearings are so far gone that it was allowed to "wobble" eneough for the right side cheek to come in contact with the case....thats big money, which is why I also started another post on putting different engines in the frame....

Top Bottom