jdc9q8

Mar 9, 2006
I have a 97 YZ125 and when I pull in the clutch (while the bike is turned off)..the bike won't come out of gear...therefore, I have to shift it into neutral to restart it...other than that the clutch works like a charm...

unless i'm missing something...i'm thinking by pulling in the clutch handle..it should disengage the clutch..which should take it out of gear..which should allow me to start the bike by simply...pulling in the clutch and kickstarting it...

but by pulling in the clutch...the bike doesn't come out of gear..

anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this or is this normal?

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
Does thi only happen when the bike is cold, or even after riding for a while. If only when cold, the gear lube is too viscous and will normally act like this and require nuetral starts, but once the bike is up to temp, you should be able to start it in gear with the clutch pulled, unless as stated earlier the basket is notched.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
CRguyStan said:
Does thi only happen when the bike is cold, or even after riding for a while. If only when cold, the gear lube is too viscous and will normally act like this and require nuetral starts, but once the bike is up to temp, you should be able to start it in gear with the clutch pulled, unless as stated earlier the basket is notched.

+1

jdc9q8

Mar 9, 2006
no i don't think it has a neutral safety switch..and i just re-adjusted the lever so i don't think that would be it..unless i've somehow adjusted it wrong...

how would i know if the clutch basket was notched...

it was around 65 degrees out the last time i played with it so i'm siding against the viscosity level suggestion

i have a service manual for this bike on the way...i'm custom to 4 wheelers up until a couple weeks ago, when i decided to buy a bike..so i'm jumping into a whole new project..

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
jdc9q8 said:
no i don't think it has a neutral safety switch..and i just re-adjusted the lever so i don't think that would be it..unless i've somehow adjusted it wrong...

how would i know if the clutch basket was notched...

open the clutch cover and look at the basket, where the fiber plates make contact. you may have to pull the plates to see.

i have a service manual for this bike on the way...i'm custom to 4 wheelers up until a couple weeks ago, when i decided to buy a bike..so i'm jumping into a whole new project..

the motors are similar same whether 2 or 4 wheels

AsheyYz250

Jul 30, 2005
You might want to check the arm that is inside the case that the cable hooks to.....it should be at about 90 degree angle....if its not then its probably worn had that happen on my 96 kx

jdc9q8

Mar 9, 2006
got the manual today..is the clutch basket the same thing as the "clutch housing"

if it is...i've never actually played with a clutch..therefore i wouldn't know if it looked good or bad..can anyone describe how to determine if i need to replace/fix it

83YZrider

Mar 24, 2006
I'm not sure about the clutch housing, but I'm sure that would be it. When you pull the clutch cover off, there will be a hub that has several bolts with springs that hold the clutch discs in the basket. Pull those out and your clutch discs will come out. (make sure to put them back in the same way they come out) When those are out you can see where the fingers of the clutch discs slid in between the fingers of the basket and you can easily tell if they have cut into (notched) the basket. If so, you may be able to just file them down smooth, but don't go crazy or else you will have to replace the basket. Hope this helps. This is how it was on my Tri-Z clutch (same as or at least similar toYZ 250)

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
Top Bottom