ShaneG

Sep 6, 2006
Summer of 06' I bought myself a 1998 yz 125 in decent condition for a good price. I bought the bike in Delaware and I live in VA (I was staying in DE for the summer) when I came back home to VA my bike ran decent but the plugs fouled a lot. I didn't get to get on it as much as I wished because their wasn't much room at my house to. When I would go to friends and ride I kept it wound tight and didn't have as many problems. The only thing I figured was the jetting was made for up there obviously, but I dont see it effecting that much, maybe its where I'm still new to the whole dirt bike thing? Well in November I took the bike back up there for a ecea race at Blue diamond (rode there a lot) and the it fouled a plug once... During the race it did great, didn't foul one but at the same time it didn't chug any at all. Well I kept the bike up there and for my birthday my aunt and uncle rebuilt my top end and my uncle says it runs damn good now. I was once told that fouling plugs left and right could be a sign of needing your top end rebuilt. The compression on it wasn't much but now he says that has increased and the power has def. incresed :laugh:. My question(s) for you guys is, I always ran NGK plugs (BR8ES) which is what the book calls for, and later on I started using AMSOIL oil buring it like it says 50:1 and it seemed to do better. GNCC Steele Creek is up this weekend and I'm going and actually getting race this year (last year I pitted my cousin and his friends). But anyway I know I typed a book here but you think with the new top end the plugs shouldnt foul as much? I plan to continue running the AMSOIL 50:1 and I plan to take a few spark plugs in my camel back aswell! Thanks for reading guys!

ShaneG

Sep 6, 2006
The reason I run 50:1 is because thats what it calls for. I asked one of the guys at the local shop in DE about it and thats what he said he runs

Jun 5, 2006
50:1 is probably okay as long as the oil you're running is a very nice pure synthetic. must likely the reason for your plug fouling is just a bit of slightly rich jetting. probably one size down in the pilot is all you will need.

Top Bottom