YZ-Red

Apr 27, 2000
yo!

I am looking at getting a KTM300 to ride around my property which is tight and steep in places. My question is besides suspension is there much difference between the 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, and 03.

Any reason why I shouldnt just buy a 98 or 99 and stick an ohlins shock in the back?

cheers
Jared

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
'98 was the only year with a rotten shock, and KTM replaced most of them on a case by case 'silent recall' basis. All five years are great bikes. I have my own opinion of the forks, but I don't want to offend anyone. I will say in '03 KTM did go to the same forks I have on my '02 400SX, and I will leave it at that.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I've got a '99 and all the shock needs is a little work from a good suspension guy. Most guys spend money to get to get the suspension dialed anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just remember the older the bike the more little things you'll probably have to do to it because of the old wear factor. Had my first casuality on the trail with my '99 this weekend. The stock clutch line pulled out of the lower fitting and I had to ride back with no clutch. Not a big deal. The hose was 4 years old. That is the first time I've cut a ride short due to bike problems in the 2 years I've owned it.

ktmike55

Apr 25, 2002
Jared 98 has a cable clutch, not hydraulic. Ohlins rear shock was last availible on the 97. WP suspension front & rear after 98. the suspension on the 99 is upgraded works very well, Im sure you will enjoy either bike!
02 300 exc fun bike
99 300 exc for sale

Montana300

May 4, 2000
I had a '99, and currently own an '01. I liked the '99 forks better than I like the '01 units. On the '01 the forks are way off in stock form [too stiff for me]. I have kitted the compression stack and they are a little better not great. I haven't sent the forks off for professional revalving, just dealing with it.

The '02 models have much better valving IMO, with no valving changes needed for most riders [including me].

The '01 motor has a little more snort than the '99, and is alot less likely to overheat with its larger water jacket. Both bikes require very accurate jetting to be "right" with no spooge and no pinging.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom