nylundm

Jan 9, 2002
Hi,

Just got '99 CR 250, I must say after riding today, the
bike really rocks.

The turning is _incredible_ (it really goes where I want)
compared to my previous bike,
Husqvarna CR 125 '99. I wonder how much does the aluminium
frame affect on turning and such? Or then the geometries of
the two bikes are so different that it is like night and day between the two.

I also like the linear power ouput of the motor, no
suprises, only power. ;)

Any tips & tricks about maintenance & tuning?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Are you riding MX or trails?

Mine is set up for trails and I love this bike!

Watch out for the lower shock needle bearing - it wears faster than the linkage bearings. I heard the heim bearing from the top of the shock will fit in place of the lower needle bearing and last longer, but I've yet to try it.

On mine, the metal mounting tabs on the rear of the seat break once in awhile.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Now that you mention it, Dirt Bike Dave, the seat mounts on my 99 have done the same. What's your fix? I just keep riveting them back on and have even had to MIG weld cracks in the metal tab. I thought it was just me!

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
DOH! My 97's seat mount broke on my most recent ride, too. Not the mount, one of the rivets. Can you pop-rivet it from the bottom or do you have to take the cover and foam off and do it from the top?

The motor rocks, the handling was a revelation, but the suspension is harsh. I guess they changed the frame in 2000 to soften the harshness?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I took the seat cover off and riveted through the bottom. I put stainless washers on the both sides of the rivet to give it strength. Playing with the suspension settings to dial it in will do wonders for the handling. But the harshness never really goes away, you just get used to it.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
On mine, it is the exhaust (right) side seat mount that cracks, so my theory is the vibration might have something to do with it. If there is a way to repair without removing the seat cover, I would love to hear about it.

My bike has Factory Connection valved suspension, including Paioli conventional forks. It is the most plush bike I've ever ridden in the nasty rocks and roots, but it gobbles up whoops. IMO the frame ridgidity is not the problem the magazines make it out to be, but if you ride this bike offroad send it to a place like FC for a good woods revalve.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
I have to agree w/dirt bike Dave. I think the stiffness issue is compounded by the fact that the 97-99 chassis is very sensative to suspension set up. Get the suspension correct & you hardly notice the frame issues.

On the seat tabs. I broke probably around 7 or 8 of these while I had my 97. About a year before I sold it I had to buy a SDG seat (something involving knocking the seat off of the work bench while tuning up my sister's wood chipper). The SDG seat has a plate on the inside of the pan w/2 studs sticking out of either side. The mounts (which are thicker than stock) are then held on by 2 6mm nylock nuts. This set up did not give me any problems, plus the seat was way more comfortable. :thumb:

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Only thing I can add to the above is to check under your rear brake hose and behind your radiator shrouds for wear on the aluminum swingarm & frame. My low hour '99 had fairly significant wear in these areas. I placed a piece of the hard rubber bumper material (the kind meant for placing on the bottom of chair legs so as not to mar floors). It has the peel off stickem on one side for easy attachment.

The '99 motor is truely awesome and when you get the front end dialed in....... the bike flat out rocks. :thumb:

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
My 99 has a very significant wear mark in the frame at the bottom of the shrouds, also. I have used 2 layers of clear plastic for covering graphics to protect the frame. It seems to be holding up quite well. I haven't checked for wear on the swingarm and frame by the rear brake, but I will. Also, I must agree about the motor, it hits like a hammer right off the bottom. I love it for hillclimbing, comes on early and strong.

Top Bottom