scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
I just finished splitting the cases on my friends '99 YZ250 to replace a broken gear. I didn't mark the stator alignment before taking it apart (I'm used to working on my CR's), and now after reassembly, it runs pretty lean at idle. Not too bad once you get into the main jet.
I got the timing close with a dial indicator, but the adapter for the spark plug hole was too long and the indicator hits the frame so I could be off a little from just taking a measurement will trying to hold the dial still. How much does the ignition timing affect how the motor runs at idle?
I can make a shorter adapter for my dial indicator in the machine shop at work if necessary but thought I'd do some research first.
I changed the pilot from a #48 to #50. This helped quite a bit but still a little ying ying at idle. Otherwise the bike runs very strong.
Also, if I use the choke, the bike will idle at a pretty high RPM and not stall the engine.
Have a PC pipe/silencer on the bike, otherwise it is stock.
This was my first time to put cases back together that use the gasket material instead of an actual gasket. Hope it's not a leak in the cases somewhere.
Scott

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
Turned out to be a leak at the crank seal under the stator. The place my buddy bought his parts for a smokin' deal sold him a seal for a '98.
Scott

Top Bottom