Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I was fooling around tonight trying to get a good repeatable setup to shoot pictures of sparkplugs. I need higher magnification than the 1:1 I'm getting right now but it's a decent start.

This has to be the most expensive plug reader I've ever used. :whoa:

Attachments

• CR125_1_1441_drn.jpg
    CR125_1_1441_drn.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 179
  • CR125_2_1441_drn.jpg
    CR125_2_1441_drn.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Plug_reader_0267.jpg
    Plug_reader_0267.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 182

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
... a few more

Attachments

• YZF444_1_1445_DRN.jpg
    YZF444_1_1445_DRN.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 181
  • YZF444_2_1446_DRN.jpg
    YZF444_2_1446_DRN.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 173
  • YZF444_3_1447_DRN.jpg
    YZF444_3_1447_DRN.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 180

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Engines, photography it don't matter once a tech geek always a tech geek :laugh: That is some nice work, I haven't tried much macro stuff and don't have a true macro lens but I know how difficult that stuff can be :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The depth of field stuff is pretty tricky but that's part of what makes it fun. I shot these at f16 but I'm, thinking f22 or higher might have been a better choice. I also need to control the light better than I am right now. As usual, the lighting is key.

I'm going to look into getting an extension tube set to increase the magnification. I see a focusing rail in my future as well. ;)

This is really fun. :)

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Pretty cool stuff, Rich

GLeNs

Jun 12, 2007
Amazing, photography has millions of uses. I like your set up and you camera looks like an alien. seen it before great set up!! Keep up the work. What other photos are coming our way like pistons etc? This could lead to a great teaching lesson, like showing us what are the effects of _____.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
rmc_olderthandirt said:
I'm curious how you got the plug apart to take the pictures of the center insulator....

I cut it open on my lathe.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Rich Rohrich said:
I cut it open on my lathe.

He says that so matter of factly..........just like a high-tech Burt Munro. It looks like the camera setup is sitting on your bed.......is the lathe next to your bed? ;)

Very cool pictures. I know nothing about macro photography but I am still very impressed. :nod:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
BadgerMan said:
He says that so matter of factly..........just like a high-tech Burt Munro. It looks like the camera setup is sitting on your bed.......is the lathe next to your bed? ;)

NAH, but the flow bench is. :)

The lathe is in the spare bedroom, AKA "the shop".

Attachments

• DSC_1426_drn.jpg
    DSC_1426_drn.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 142

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The first images look like perfect jetting. The last one looks like detonation. Anywhere close to right?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
BSWIFT said:
The first images look like perfect jetting. The last one looks like detonation. Anywhere close to right?

Brian - That last picture is normally what you'll see with severe detonation. When it gets that bad the engine is going to get hurt BAD.

In this particular case it was a fuel that had a really high lead content and (6 grams per gallon) and those bits that look like aluminum are just lead deposits.

It freaked me out when I first looked at it with a normal plug viewer.:yikes: It took digging a little deeper to figure out what was really going on.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Rich Rohrich said:
NAH, but the flow bench is. :)

The lathe is in the spare bedroom, AKA "the shop".

Sweet! Man, what a wonderland! :cool:

Be careful with that MIG welder on that wood floor! :ohmy:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
As usual, I've learned something new. Thanks, Rich. Recently, in the one of the other forums, you gave a very good explanation on fuel regarding temperature. Many times I get overwhelmed with the technical information regarding fuel but I found that explanation gave me a better understanding, just as this set of pics has done. I regret that I was unable to catch up to you when I came to Chicago a few months ago. I'm going to have to schedule another trip just come by and see you and Eric. Thanks again for the insight.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
BSWIFT said:
I'm going to have to schedule another trip just come by and see you and Eric. Thanks again for the insight.

If you come up make sure and bring your trials bike along. I doubt if we have as much cool riding area as you have in your back yard, but even if we just play on the trials course in back of Eric's shop we can have a few laughs. :cool:

BadgerMan said:
Be careful with that MIG welder on that wood floor! :ohmy:

LOL :laugh:

The MIG, the TIG and the plasma cutter have made a lot of trips up and down the steps so I can use them in the back yard. ;)

Thank god for Black and Decker Workmates.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
RYDMOTO said:
Those spark plugs are HUGE!!! They gotta weigh 5 lbs a piece!!!

I'm blaming my lack of speed on that very fact. :whoa:

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
could you explain a MACRO image to me, just wondering never heard it before (im no photo guru but sometimes they amaze me)

BTW exellent photos close and great definition (i prolly just answered my ?)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
bclark001 said:
could you explain a MACRO image to me, just wondering never heard it before (im no photo guru but sometimes they amaze me)

BTW exellent photos close and great definition (i prolly just answered my ?)

Macro photography deals with the magnification of the image, in this case Rich is using a lens that provides 1:1 magnification. This means that the images should be lifesize on the digital sensor or film, if the macro lens was a 2:1 lens then the items photographed would be double their real size on the film or digital sensor.

Top Bottom