a few new ones, from Oak Hill MX.

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
Some good racing at Oak Hill last Sunday.
these are....D300 shots :nod:

Skyler Teague of Norman, OK 125 Int. Mod. 5th Overall
898corner.jpg

Jake Loberg of Minnesota:
1st place, Schoolboy class.
JakeLoberg175_corner.jpg

Jamie Ledin, Crosslake, MN. 3rd place overall, 125 A Mod.
JamieLedin251_corner.jpg

Justin Evans, El Paso, Tx. 2nd overall 125 A Mod.
JustinEvans43_corner.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Bspeed said:
Some good racing at Oak Hill last Sunday.
these are....D300 shots :nod:

Bryan - Did your keeper rate go up with the 3D AF tracking?

What did you think of the high ISO performance, and the quality of the white balance?

Last edited:

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
rpm12505, that's the nicest comment I have heard in quite a while, thank you :) but no living at it..but if can sell a few prints and cd's - great !

Rich,
Yes...out of about 1,800 pics from the race, I threw away very very few...granted that there are still quite a few that are less than real sharp. departing from my normal modus-operandi... I used a 28-70 2.8 for a lot of pics, rather than the 70-200. Only today did I get a chance to try the AF-fine adjust on the 28-70, and it seems to me, it did allow for about a +3 value. Overall much better images, when I do may part. lordy there are some bad exposures in the pics I took, hehe.

I think it handles the exposure latitude better... in fact I did see a graph/test showing an increase of 1 stop in dynamic range over the D200.

for AF I used Continous (of course) , 21 point, but single area on the selector switch.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I've had similar results with the dynamic range. I seem to be getting away with a lot more using available light in high contrast situations.

I did some available light night shooting with my 50mm F 1.4 lens and using auto-ISO maxed at 1600. I was amazed at how good the shots looked after a simple pass through Noise Ninja. What noise is there looks more like film grain than color noise. Even without any noise reduction, when I do B&W conversions it still looks better than Tri-X ever did . Auto-ISO is actually a usable feature for me now.

I've been playing with the 51 point 3D dynamic AF on mine and it's pretty freaky how well it tracks. It might even get me shooting some action stuff. :)

Great shots BTW. I guess I just expect that from you, Okie, Chili and Squid. ;)

Last edited:

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
Rich, what did you get the D3 or 300 ? I have been a little absent here...

went looking through dome of your recent posts... so let apologize now for not getting here sooner....cause those are some very enviable B&W's you have posting!! :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks for the kind words Bryan. Coming from someone with your skill, that means a lot.

I bought a D300 and the MB-D10 grip and I'm going to use my trusty D200 as my everyday carry around camera. I was using a D40X for that duty previously, so now I have a spare body I can use for a deep BW infrared conversion. I can't wait to see what a true infrared converted camera is like to use. It should be fun.

I'll start saving for a D3 now, so in a couple of years I might be able to afford one. :)

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
cool deal, Rich. hopefully a grip is in my future. I guess I will sell my D200, but not in a hurry to right now. have a lot, whole lot of shutter actuations on it, and that's the first thing buyers want to know!

Colt45, thanks, Bro!

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
Uh-oh.....you know what, I might have pushed..the AdobeRGB selection on the camera menu.

any particular colors that re the most funky ? :)

Ahh, gotta love the 70's and 80's. Funk times :rotfl:

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
the Kaw green is too much or wrong.

Dirt Colors drive me nuts unless it's black dirt. the yellows, orangy mixed with white clays on some tracks ...I swear they really mess up exposure levels or fool the camera somhow.

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
Also, I have been using a plug-in, inside of Lightroom to make the resized web pics, so yet another variable to look into.

Appreciate the post, Squid.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Bryan - Are you shooting in JPEG or RAW? I figured with 1800 shots in one day it would be JPEG but ya never know.

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
this last race, jpg. I have done a few races in raw, and let captureNx batch them to jpeg. getting low on HD space though :)

I think, though that when it comes to shooting the pro's and Intermediates, I will use RAW if I have enough card space left.

somethings I did learn last weekend, and it correlates to not just to timing the shot, but FPS rate....
a good Bar Drag in the corner does not last long enough to "play" with the shot...better be ready or have that camera ready to machine-gun the images.
RAW could mean a lost "perfect moment", if I rely on the FPS rate to get it rather than my eye/shutter finger.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom