A few questions, help me out please!

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Alright, i have a 1990 YZ80. Got it yesterday. I have gone riding about 3 times so far. I am not having any trouble learning. Just slipping the clutch starting out and and running out of premix. Anyway, on to my questions, I am 5'6'' so the hieght isnt reallya problem on this bike. Just i am too fat for it. I am looking into a stiffer rear spring. I don't want to spend alot of money on this. I was wondering where i could get one. Also what the cost would be. As for the sprocket, the stock sprocket has 46 teeth. I want to get a larger rear sprocket to gear it down beacuse for now i am jsut riding open feilds and trails. If i get good enough then i know some people with thier own private MX tracks that i can use. If i do decide to ride MX can i use a larger sprocket still? What size should i get? I am thinking 50 teeth? What is the most repuatable company for their sprockets? What is the cheapest? How many additional links would the chain need? Can i just get a chain link repair kit for this and just possibly add a few master links? Instead of buying a new chain? And finally onto my last question. I have been looking for some aftermarket parts in my Dennis Kirk Catologe and noticed some differences in year model. The YZ80 aftermarket plastics (and most other AM parts) come in two major year catagories. '86-92 and '93-'02. What were the major differences in the models? Can i use the newer plastics on the older bike? Are the frames THAT much different? Also certain pipes wont fit on the older bikes. Can any of these parts be modified slightly to fit the old model? Oh,and one last tiny thing, when my sisters rode my bike, it tended to flood every once in a while. What is the reason for this? How can it be avoided?

I realize that there are alot of questions, but that is only beacuse i am new, but obsessed with the whole sport. :D

ANY help at all would be appreciated greatly.

THX A BUNCH

~Jamie

boardadikt

May 20, 2003
Hey Jamie, as far as the sprocket goes, I don't think you want to add teeth. By adding teeth you are adding more acceleration but you lose your speed on top. If you are riding open fields then you don't need quick acceleration, but you want to go real fast. I made a post in this subforum:basic Q&A, bike repair titled "Gearing Question". This will help you to understand about gearing. Now if you are going to ride an MX track and it seems like you can't get enough speed out of the corner to clear a double or someething, then you may want to add teeth.

Search the site for suspension settings. If your suspension is only a little off you may just want to add some fork oil or add a few more clicks to the compression damping on the forks and add a few more clicks to the rear shock. You could get a used spring but you need to know what its spring rate is. There is a site somewhere that calculates the spring rate that you need and the spring rate of your bike. Try a search on this site or on google for "suspension settings"

As far as plastics go--No you cannot swap plastics. Again I had almost the same question in this forum a few posts down. I know you can't just change plastics but I thought it might be possible to change the entire subframe so the plastics work along with the tank and airbox--and someone replied that it doesn't work either. Now say for instance you have 1990 bike (I forgot) and the plastics that fit it say 1988-1995, the sleeker looking 95 plastics will fit the 90. I hope that makes sense.

Your sister probably floods your bike because she isn't riding it hard enough. MX 2stroke bikes are meant to be ridden hard high in the RPM band, especially 80cc's. If this has happened several times you should probably throw in a new plug. You might also want to try using Amsoil series 2000 50:1 premix oil. I really like it and my bike runs good with it.

That's all the info that I got...some others should be able to help more.

See ya

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Thanks for the help. The guy i bought this bike from, a 40-something guy that is shorter than i am, suggested to my father to put a larger sprocket on back, to tame the hit or somehting to help it be a little mellow in the woods, i will mostly likely go riding on hunting trails up in the mountains. Myquestion about the plastics was that they were not changed until '93. So even the '92 plastics on my '90 wouldnt be to "sleek". lol. If you wanna check out the differneces to see what im saying go to bikepics.com and look for yourslef at the '92 and '93 models. There is a difference. I am running roughly 32:1 mix. I will look into the Amsoil. Thanks for all your help so far.

Keep the info coming,

~Jamie

Top Bottom