Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
Hey guys,

My first questions is really noobie but I have no experience with dirt bikes, I'm buying a 2004 Honda CRF230F, it takes straight gas in the gas tank right? And should I use premium or regular gas?
And the third question is how hard is it on that bike to ride two guys on it, were both around 155lbs.

Thanks
-Alex

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Yes it take regular gas. Premium would be the best option.

It can ride two people but is not designed for it and doing so is asking for disaster and injury.

Yes I rode 2 (and even 4) up on my old DT 100 when I was a kid. It wasn't smart and I have the scars to prove it.

Please ride responsibility, safely and wear all your safety gear (at a minimum helmet, gloves, goggles and boots).

Ivan

Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
Thanks for the help, I'm planning on buying a chest protector as well. So riding two people on that machine isn't going to damage the machine, it's just dangerous to do so?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I wouldn't attempt anything crazy with it with two people on it, but in order to get from one place to another, it shouldn't hurt it at all.

Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
Yea I'm just going to be riding with my brother on the back to the trail and then will take turns at the the trail, I just wanted to make sure it won't damage my machine, thanks for the help.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Considering you are each 155 pounds that's going to be over the rated weight of that small bike. Also realize there are no rear footpegs so the rear rider is going to be dangling their feet and possibly getting them tangled in the chain or wheel or caught on passing fixed objects. Bottom line is that stupid hurts.

Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
So Patman you don't think I should do it? I just want the honest truth, I don't want to cause any damage or unnecessary wear on the bike.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Alex28 said:
So Patman you don't think I should do it? I just want the honest truth, I don't want to cause any damage or unnecessary wear on the bike.

NO I don't think you should do it.

The bike will survive the ride with two people. Whether you or the bike survive the crash without damage is another story and trust me, you will crash your bike... whether you ride one or two people you will crash. It's not a matter of if but when.

That is why we wear safety gear. Crashing happens.

Do you really want to be responsible for hurting someone else's injuries when it does happen?

Ivan

Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
Alright looks like my brother will be riding his bicycle to the trails, thanks for the help guys, and yes I will be purchasing safety gear before riding.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Believe it or not most people do stupid stuff. Stupid often does hurt and sometimes even worse. I've done plenty of stupid stuff and continue to do stupid stuff to this day. It's not because I like getting hurt it's because as you go along in life you don't always know the answers but there's often several options and chances are you will sometimes guess correctly and sometimes not. Learn from the experiences of others where you can and you'll end up with a lot less scars, pins, & plaster.

Alex28

Oct 17, 2008
Mileage question

On average how far can I go on a full tank of gas on a 2004 Honda CRF230F? I know it depends on the terrain you are drivining on, I'll mostly be driving on hard packed dirt.

Thanks
-Alex

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
It depends on terrain, how often you are wfo and other factors.

You really just have to keep an eye on the fuel and see how long it goes.

I would say you will get at least 2 hours out of a tank of continuous riding normal trail conditions. Less if you are wfo all the time.

Ivan

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You have a reserve position on the petcock so ride with it in on position then flip it ro reserve when it runs out and make a B-line for fuel.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sounds like a track queen to me.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Patman said:
Sounds like a track queen to me.

If you mean someone who doesn't venture into the woods, you'd be correct sir.

However, on those rare occasions I do venture out in the woods, I still don't go that far.. What with being a gimp and all.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
No no no trees good, track bad.]

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If I never did anything stupid I'd never get anything done. :)

I can't even begin to count the times I've ridden 2,3 or 4 up on a bike. It is very dangerous as pointed out. We ALL got hurt several times doing this but we were too lazy to walk. The problem is that it drastically changes the handling of the bike. A small root or rock that would go unnoticed can easily send you out of control. The passenger can and usually does fight you when trying to move around or lean the bike. Once you start to go down it's like being on a bike that weighs an extra 150lbs. I guess what I'm saying is that the bike won't mind but it's dangerous for the rider/passenger.

Top Bottom