A new bike for my 10 year old son.

palazzi

Jun 15, 2002
Four months ago I bought a XR100 (1993) for my 10 years old son. This was his first bike. On this bike, he has learned the basics (ie. shifting, breaking, turning, etc.) While we kept on wide-easy trails, everything was fine. During this first two months, he gained confidence and enjoyed his bike. One day, he wanted to try a local MX track. On the track, he tried to make a little jump and had a bad landing. The result: a broken ankle and five weeks out action.

After this, we came back to our bikes, but his confidence was also seriously injured. In fact, he was so afraid of riding his bike that he couldn’t go through those easy trails that he used to take during the first days. Now, he is starting to gain confidence again, but he keeps felling down quite often. These aren’t big falls, but he is starting to loose his enthusiasm.

When we talk about our bikes, he complains about the heavy weight of his XR100. So, I am looking for alternatives to keep him happy and motivated. Since he already know how to shift, break, etc, I am considering buying an used KX 60 (2000). This bike might be more aggressive than his XR100, but will surely be lighter.

Would a KX 60 or a KX65 be a good bike for my son. Are there any tricks to limit the power output of this bike?.

Thanks.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
It depends on his height and weight as much as anything. If he fits on the XR100 a 60 or 65 might actually be too small, besides he will grow like a weed. It be as well to address why he is falling. While my son did not have any eary bad esperiences, when he was having some control problems I told him that everytime he felt like putting his foot down instead stand up on the pegs. He was 12, 5'1" and 115, and was really too big to go to a smaller bike. He is now 5'4" 125 and has been on his YZ85 for a year. He is really ready to move up to a 125, but he doesn't think so and is happy on the 85. And considering he is already faster than me and jumps farther I do, I'm in no hurry for him to move up.

If worse comes to worse, a switch to a quad for a while might do the trick.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Palazzi: As a parent of 4 kids (all riders) and a bike salesmen I have some opinions that may help. I think you should listen to your child - he is telling you that he is no longer physically "comfortable" on the XR. This combined with his loss of self confidence could in fact result in him losing total interest in the sport - I have seen it happen!
If I were you, I would look closely at his SIZE and buy him a bike that he can handle - DONT WORRY ABOUT HORSEPOWER AT THIS POINT!!! Get him a bike that HE can manhandle! Stay away from the modern MXers - get him something that he can touch BOTH feet on the ground when he stops. Get another 4 stroke so he doesnt have to be concerned at this time with being in the powerban. The object is to find something - anything - that will restore his self confidence!
If you have mainly sand to ride in I would look at a fat tired Yamaha BIGWHEEL 80! If your riding blackdirt trails I would make sure that his bike has the biggest knarliest rear tire that you can squeeze on it! The more thiings like this that YOU do to insure his being able to handle the conditions the better off you will both be!!
Last but not least here are some words of wisdom; Dont be critical of his riding ability at this point! Watch him and compliment his accomplishments no matter how small they seem!!
Good luck
Woodsy

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Josh is moving from an XR70 to a CR85. Like the others said 60 may be to small. I would suggest taking him to your local dealer and let him sit on a few and find one HE feels comfortable with.This will give you a place to start.

dog2

Sep 26, 2002
Woodsy's comments regarding staying away from a MX bike are correct. My 10 year old son rides a KX65. He started riding a PW50 when he was 4, gratuated to a KTM50, and is now on the KX65. When I compare this bike to his friends 4 -strokes (TTR's, XR's etc.) the KX 65 takes a very skilled and aggressive rider. The power on both the KX60 and 65 are not for the timid. These are difficult bikes to ride. They may look easy to ride, but they are not. If you are looking to instill confidence, maybe a newer model XR or a TTR would give him that new bike confidence without a killer powerband. You might also try to find some friends of similar ability for him to ride with. That might keep his interest and motivation high.
Good luck.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Question, does your son have all the neccesary riding equipment? (Helmet, boots, gloves).  If he can riding well and wants to race on a MX track then you need to get him on a bike that was built for that purpose.  Riding/racing a 9 year old trail bike with limited suspension on a MX track may not be the best idea.  My son, who is soon to be 8yrs old, has been on a KX65 for the last two years.  He came off a JR50 and learned to shift and handle the new bike quite well.  He has not ridden the bike to its full potential yet, but he will get there when HE is ready.  Point is, you do not need to try limiting power output of the bike.  He will learn to control that by himself.  If your son wants to race and/or jump then get him the right bike for that purpose.  He should be on a 80cc MXer that has 10+ inches of wheel travel so that when he does jump the bike can easily absord the landing.  These bikes are lighter, handle better, and are fun to ride.  Putting him on a bike that is too small could also have a negative effect.  Like Woodsy said praise him for his accomplishments, if he races and finishes last, like my kids, give him a HIGH FIVE for just completing the race.  Confidence comes with saddle time, I started racing MX again this year after a 21 year break.  My confidence in my riding/racing ability is steadily growing.  My 250 still has the abilty to scare the cr*p out of me at times :scream: .  But, the more I ride the better I feel.  Good luck. :thumb:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
No one has asked how big the 10 year old is. My daughter is 11, 65lbs & 4'5" and rides a kx60.

She too had a mishap soon after beginning riding while still on a 2-stroke 50. The time after her mishap was a confusing time for both of us. I sure wanted her continued interest in the sport but as a parent I knew better than to try and force it. The bike sat for a while before she wanted to get back on it and even then it was nothing more than riding in the back yard. She was definitly getting too big for a 50 and wanted another bike but she wasn't riding the one she had. What's a dad to do? She got the 60 for Christmas last year and for the most part, it too sat in the garage or trailer for most of the year, it was a confidence issue.

Learning to ride the 60 was nothing for her. I was a little worried about her reaction when it came on the pipe but that is something kids learn very fast. Her knowing to sit on the front of the seat and ride standing in the attack position kept her safe when the bike hit the power. That isn't to say she hasn't looped out when practicing starts though. It wasn't until DW02 that she really started getting back into it. After we returned home and the rains quit, it was to the local track for practice. December 15th was her 1st mx race (excliding DW) and she got a 1st place out of 6 girls.

My advice to you is to let your boy sit on some bikes and see what fits. It's up to you to see that he doesn't pick one that's too small or way too big. Give your kid some credit when it comes to a bikes power though, they learn faster than people give credit. Also if you get a bike your kid isn't all that interested in, it too will sit, they will have lost interest.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I agree with Jeff. It really depends on the size. If you are going to do more track time stay away from the TTR's and KLX's. Those bikes beat the rider to death! If your going to hit the tracks either a KX60 or 65 and maybe a 80. The 80 is a little tamer than the 85. The KX65 is actually pretty big. If you are thinking about the kx60 don't shy away from a used one. That way if you need to move up in 6 months your not hosed. Nothing really changed on the kx60 from about 85 til present. The 65 is bigger and has better suspension.
One thing that might help confidence is some training.

Recently my 7 year old broke his collar bone. he was top 5 in the age class before that. For about a month afterward he was getting waxed by the top 3 beginners. Almost getting lapped by the age class kids. I took him to a local pro that does classes. For $50 the guy worked with my son. About 2 months later he is clearing big 30-40' doubles and I have seen his confidence soar. He has only had a handful of lessons but the confidence has gone straight up!!!  Besides  nothing I could do or say seemed to help his confidence.  I'd tell him he was doing great.  When the pro guy worked with him he told Will he was a good learner and you could see Will just perk right up.  Best $50 I have ever spent other than the safety gear we have.

Also a good set of boots might help confidence.  We went from the Oneal to the AXO's.  It was worth the extra $$$  My little guy even noticed the extra paddingand plate sewn in to the more expensive boots.

Last edited:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Excellent point Jasle - EXCELLENT!
Woodsy

palazzi

Jun 15, 2002
Yesterday, my son and I went back to the Enduro circuit that is close to our neighborhood. After two weeks out of his bike (vacations), he seems to have forgotten his fears and his confidence is coming back. Yesterday, he rode faster than ever and he started to take those small jumps that he was afraid of. However, he still complains about the heavy weight of his XR100 (1993).

After our ride, we pass by the local shop where he saw a used KX60 (1998). He tried it, started it and got in love with it. On top of that, the dealer told him that he could trade his XR100 for the KX60. So he is pushing me for the deal.

The KX seems to fit him very well, but I am still not sure about moving him to a two-stroke. He is 37 Kgs (82 lbs) and is 141 cm (4’3”). He like to take small jumps and ride on the small MX track, but also we like to ride together through the woods, passing water crossings and climbing those hills that are close to our house.

So, I am still undecided. Please, help.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Can you ask the dealer for a test ride?
The thing I'm reading here, your son doesn't like the XR due to weight, but likes the KX weight/size. He may stop riding if he has to keep with the XR. He may stop riding if he hates the power delivery of the KX. He may love the KX power & everything about it.
A friend of mine's eldest daughter hated her PW80 after a few months & would barely ride. They wanted to get her an XR100, but she felt it was too big, so they got her an XR80 which she has done really well on. She has test ridden an XR100 & loved it (no longer feels it's too big), has also ridden a DRZ125 small wheel & loved it. She is one of these children that as soon as she doesn't like the bike anymore will not ride much. She will never be a two stroke rider, as she rode her brother's KX60 & hated the power of it.
I still think your best bet is to ask for a test ride, even if it's just in a field - just so your son knows what the power is like. Put cones down or something & tell him to imagine they're trees. If it's a flat area, he won't be able to see what uphills are like, but that'll come ;)
Hope that helps some.
Michelle

palazzi

Jun 15, 2002
I forgot to comment that I still haven’t found somebody that could give him some riding lessons, but we are joining other parents with kids on the same age that are willing to teach him. I am sure, this will also help him a lot.

Top Bottom