SIKSPAK777

Jan 31, 2008
I have an 02 CRF450 and the exhaust i bought a couple years ago is rather long. Almost as long as the rear fender. Now the question is , whats the difference between the 02 and newer? Are they interchangable? And if so up to what years? I cant seem to find much for the 02. I want to get shorter exhaust, not for the noise factor but alot of the bikes ive seen on teh computer and tv have a heck of alot shorter exhaust.
thanks

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
My dad had the same problem he just drilled the rivets out of the end cap and cut 3 or four inches off the canister and the inner baffle tube thing. Then he repacked it and riveted the end cap back on. Also it is not noticeable louder and didn't affect the bike's performance at all. a few weeks later he bought a pro moto billet end cap when we went to Boise but I think they have a website but now he is forest legal and his bike's silencer is as short as my cr 250's stock one. Looks really good well worth the time.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Later Hondas ran the exhaust pipe lower along the engine to get the silencer to not stick out as far. I believe the later stock silencers are relatively similar in length, but the routing of the exhaust makes them appear shorter, and helps to lower the center of gravity.

While yamarider's Dad might not have noticed much difference in noise, that's probably because the packing was worn out before he made the change, so his repacking made it a little better even after shortening it. And we've all heard how the Pro Moto Billett endcaps help keep the noise down.

Honestly, I would love to put an aftermarket exhaust on my KTM, but until they make something both quieter *and* lighter that also increases my performance, I'll stick with stock.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
SIKSPAK777 said:
Now the question is , whats the difference between the 02 and newer? Are they interchangable?

No, the mounts on the sub-frame are in a different location. You might want to look into a FMF Q silencer spark arrester. Nice little silencer and very quiet. :cool:

Top Bottom