tavdog

Jul 12, 2000
I am going to buy 86' used forks for my xr200. Could anyone give me some quick tips on how to check if they are good or not? The salvage yard wanted them for $150, does this sound like a good price if they are good? Thanks for all your help.

------------------

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
tavdog.

Before you buy them, see if they will let you drain a little oil out of them. If the oil is clean, they should be ok. If there is no oil in them or the oil is very dirty with metal in it, I would pass. Also, rotate the inner fork tubes in the outer tubes to check if they are straight.

I installed a set of '88 CR 250 forks on my '83 XR350 and it made a major difference.
I paid $200. for the forks, triple clamps, front wheel and disk brake.

Good luck.

Ol'89r

------------------
"Old age and treachery, sumthin, sumthin, can't remember the rest."
Ol'89r

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I have a set of forks from my 91 xr200 that I will sell. They are in good shape, I just put on a newer set of xr250 forks with a disk brake on them and no longer need my original forks. I went through them 6 months ago and replaced the fluids and they work well. I can let them go for $100, you pay the shipping. They are already off of the bike and I can probably ship them to you in a few days. If interested, e-mail me at: oka1las@ups.com

------------------
1992 WR 500
If it looked easy, then it wasnt me doing it!!!

tavdog

Jul 12, 2000
I picked up the forks earlier(they are good to) and found out the tube that goes into the headset clamps is a little bigger than the stock ones. So im not sure what to do now since I can't find any other forks.

Hey Lorin.....just wondering if you could measure how long those forks are and the diameter of the tube where it goes through the headset clamps. I might be interested if they fit! Thanks alot!

------------------

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Mind you I am not at home to measure the tubes, but I was told that the 200 forks are 32mm and that the xr250 forks were 36mm. I have verified the difference in triple clamps, otherwise I would have just slid the new forks into the original clamps and have been done. The triple clamps from the xr250 are also a little wider, probably to allow for room for the disc brake. I did measure from the center of the axle bolt to the mounting line at the top of both forks where they line up with the top of the top triple clamp and they both measured at 33 inches, so no difference in ride height between the two forks in my particular example. You might see if you can pick up the triple clamps that correspond to the forks you bought from the salvage dealer. All that is required to make the stem work on my xr250 forks is a 3\8 inch spacer on the steering stem. I still have the triple clamps and steering stem from the 200. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions. Lorin.

------------------
1992 WR 500
If it looked easy, then it wasnt me doing it!!!

[This message has been edited by Lorin (edited 04-25-2001).]

Top Bottom