Absolute newbie needs some help picking out a bike!

wedge123

Aug 15, 2004
I have always wanted a dirt bike...every year I get a little closer to actually getting one. Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about bikes. Here is a little background for the experts to help me out:

I am 5'10" and weigh around 195 lbs in my birthday suit, so with gear on that would probably put me closer to 210 lbs. I plan on riding mostly on trails or open fields, as I have property (farm land) readily available to me. The terrain is varried depending on the season (flooded to just muddy in a lot of fields, others are unrideable because of crops) with some hills and trails. I am not going to race this bike. My budget is ~$3000 including money for gear.

I'm 25 and therefore no longer invincible: What gear do I need to get to get started? If I can afford it should I just buy everything that a motocrosser would want. I know that I am going to be riding pretty tame but safety is very important to me and more so to my wife (Chief Financial Officer LOL)! Do a lot of you guys that ride like wearing the jerseys and pants from companies like O'Neal over just some jeans and a sweatshirt?

It has been recommended that I start with a 4-stroke 250cc bike. I have never ridden a motorcycle or an ATV before. I am a pretty good mechanic so buying used isn't much of a problem. I just don't know what to look for or where to start. What years, what engine sizes, what models? While this bike will just be a learner bike I don't want to outgrow it after one season.

Thanks in advance! Look forward to everyones input and opinions.

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The KDX is a great trail bike. Lots of room for making hop ups if you want and plenty of people on DRN that know them well. The XR 400 is also a great bike. For your size, one of these two bikes will give you many years of fun with just basic maintenance.

wedge123

Aug 15, 2004
Thanks for the replies. I would be worried that a 220 would be too small for me...then again I don't know a whole lot about bikes either. I would rather buy something that has the power than something that I need to build up.

How much cash should I set aside for gear?

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
A KDX 200 or 220 would be great for you. They have plenty of power too haul you around. I weigh about 205 with out gear and my 200 hauls me around great. My moddified 200 is quite a bit faster than my dads xr 400. But the xr has a ton of torque and is also a great bike. My brothers stock 220 is about the same power wise as the xr. The xr is quite a bit heavier then the KDX is. Try and ride a few bikes and find one that suits you.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
I too think a KDX 220 would be a great bike for you. As for riding gear, you can often get the seller of a used bike to throw in alot of your gear to sweeten the deal. If not, here is what you will need and prices for entry-level gear. Some shops sell close-out gear and gear packages at significant discounts. I just bought a set of 04 Fox gear at a 40% discount.

1. Helmet $100
2. Goggles $20
3. Gloves $20
4. Knee and Shin Guards $10
5. Boots $100
6. Pants $80
7. Chest Protector $80
8. Jersey $20
9. Kidney Belt $25

That totals about $450 for entry-level gear. You can easily spend two to three times as much for gear that is longer lasting, higher quality, more comfortable, and more protective. IMO, items 1-5 are most important.

wedge123

Aug 15, 2004
That link was good. I guess there is more that I can look at. I actually looked at a Yamaha TTR 225 on my lunch break...too many choices!

Thanks for the gear suggestions! I think I will just make sure that I can afford all the gear when I get the bike.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
Shig said:
1. Helmet $100
2. Goggles $20
3. Gloves $20
4. Knee and Shin Guards $10
5. Boots $100
6. Pants $80
7. Chest Protector $80
8. Jersey $20
9. Kidney Belt $25

A hundred dollar helmet for a hundred dollar head (just poking fun Shig :laugh: ). IMO, spend as much as you can on your helmet and boots. I personally think the Bell Moto 7 is a good helmet for the price and you cannot go wrong with Alpinestar Tech 6 boots. When I got my first pair, they paid for themselves in less than 30 minutes. :worship:

ShagsSupra

Aug 9, 2004
wedge123 said:
That link was good. I guess there is more that I can look at. I actually looked at a Yamaha TTR 225 on my lunch break...too many choices!

Thanks for the gear suggestions! I think I will just make sure that I can afford all the gear when I get the bike.

Ohh god if you choose a TTR-225 over the KDX watch out people are gonna pick on you lol!!!

wedge123

Aug 15, 2004
Why's that? I really can't tell the difference. I haven't ridden anything yet (never have) so I'm pretty limited in what I know.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
A KDX220 is no whey comparable to a TTR225. I cant help but get the impression that you are being fooled by the numbers here. First off, the TTR225 is one of, if not the worst bike on the market. Its extremely overweight, underpowered, and undersuspeded from what I hear. You will probably be completely bored with a TTR225 in a very short time. I wouldnt even think about if after thinking about a KDX. Night and day difference there. Look for a used/leftover KDX and you will not be sorry.

wedge123

Aug 15, 2004
Yes, the numbers fool me. I easily forget that a 2 stroke motor is twice as powerful and weighs less than a similar sized 4 stroke motor. The shop I went to was pretty lame and they only wanted to sell me the most neutered bikes available, anything used was way overpricesd. When I looked at the Yamaha the only other thing he showed me was the Honda and never showed me a Kawi, saying he didn't have anything that I was looking for...real helpful.

You guys are great here. I will definitely look more into the KDX line.

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
A very wise decision. As pretty much every person has already said you cant go wrong with a kdx 200 or 220. I had a 1985 kdx and my friend had a new crf 230. I paid 700 dollars for my bike and he paid about 3 grand. Not only was my bike much quicker it was more fun to ride. Any kdx newer than '95 or so is good. That was when the last major change was made.

225madman

Sep 18, 2005

TTr's are the best was to go. I started riding on my TT'r 225 about 5 years ago. yea it is heavy but that thing has been threw hell and after modding have good power for trails try the ttr 250 if that has too much power look at the TTr 225 and 230. Id sugest the 225 for a starter bike.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
A KDX or an older 250 2 stroke would be fine for you. As far as gear goes if you want to be as safe as possible look into something like the 661 pressure suit or equivalent. I have a 661 and the only thing I don't like about it is the fact that I feel like a power ranger or something wearing it. They are about $180 wich is more expensive than a chest protector but they have a spine protector,shoulder/elbow/forearm pads built in, chest protection and the kidney belt. It is really adjustable also. If it is hot I don't wear a jersey over it because the mesh type construction keeps you cool, just not cool looking. For helmets, just find one that feels good, I paid $130 for mine not because I couldn't afford something more expensive but because the $300 helmet felt like crap. Remember you can't concentrate on riding if you are always thinking about how crapy your helmet fits. Thor Force knee guards kick ass, comfy and tons of protection $60. Don't buy cheap boots, I made that mistake and a month later went back to the dealer after I pissed away $100 on cheap boots and bought some tech 8 on sale for $250. Gloves are relatively inexpensive figure ten to thirty dollars and the goggles are the same as the helmet. More isn't better, what fits you is the best. Pants are an almost must, jeans aren't really comfortable and there is no way you could get knee protection on with jeans. A jersey is the last thing I would get, I only bought one because it was clearance for 20 bucks. That was a year after I bought everything else.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
My reccomendations:
Helmet: HJC AC/X2 (its worth the extra money over the CLX3or4)
Boots: Alpinestar Tech 8s or Tech 6s... I trailride with tech 6s and they are very comfortable and offer plenty of protection.
Pants: if you are riding in a hot climate, buy ventilated pants like the Moose Saharas...I don't like the trailriding style of pants (over the boot)...they seem very heavy compared to MX pants.

bweymouth

Sep 8, 2005
I have a '92 KDX 250 and love it!! I ride mostly trails but it will also ripe up the track if I feel the need. This is my first bike as I was also a newbie when I got it. The bike has smooth power and great low end torque. :)

Bweymouth

Top Bottom