Access to a Gym, what should I be doing

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Hey all. Its fun for me to be posting in this forum, definitely my first time. I'm not much for being super physically fit, but I have access to a really nice gym right now at school, and figure I should be doing some working out. Basically, I want to do things that will help me fight overall fatigue from riding, racing. I was thinking maybe 20 minutes of cardio a session, like on a bike, and lots of upper body stuff. Probalby 3 or 4 times a week. But I'm wondering, when I do sets, should I do like 3 sets of 18, with a little less weight, or maybe 2 sets of 12 with almost as much as I can handle? I've heard doing longer sets with less weight builds more endurance, while doing more weight for in shorter sets builds the explosive strength. I'm looking for endurance, not being able to bench my neighbors VW Beetle. One other question, what can I do to build up endurance against my hands getting tingly and numb? Are there some specific exercises? I know about holding on the bike right, with your knee's and such, but is there anything I can do to work on this? Thanks guys!

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
My recommendation would be to stick with the basics. If you do bench and squats you are hitting a lot of muscle groups with just those two basic exercises. Next think about what gets sore when you haven't ridden for a while. With me is is my upper and lower back, quads and calves that get sore. Seated rows, lat pull downs or pull ups, calf raises. Do something for your abs and lower back and you have covered most of your body. I stick with 3 sets of 10 and don't overdo the weight. If it seems relatively easy on you third set go up on the weight. If you split this up into two workouts you can be in and out of the gym fairly quickly at the least it will help you fend of soreness the next day after a ride. As far as endurance goes do cardio, running is good but my knees don't care much for it. Bikes are good, fun and will get you into shape. I try and do at least 30 minutes of it three times a week. Don't over do and you won't burn out. Hope this helps.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by cr25096er
Dw what exactly is burn out? Ive heard it here and there but never knew what it was and does to you.

Seriously? :) Burn out is just a term for overdoing something until it is no longer enjoyable, can happen with anything. The opposite of being obsessed. It happens a lot in the weight room. Someone gets motivated to get in shape buys a FLEX magazine and tries to do Mr. Olympias work out and does 15 sets of concentration curls or something that is way beyond a beginner.

Top Bottom