Acerbis DHH light kit problems. . .

jasonhawkins

Nov 18, 2001
Just got a new headlight for my 99 KDX220. I got the Acerbis DHH light kit. It has Dual 12V 35W tungsten halogen bulbs. The voltage matches the kdx's. But what I did not consider is that there are TWO bulbs. Now when I hook up both bulbs, I get half power, which is unusable. Currently I'm only running one of the bulbs, and it actually does pretty well. Any Ideas on how to fix this with out buying a new stator? Where is the best place to get one if I do? Thanx

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
I believe you can have your stator re-wrapped to be stonger,, I just was looking in to it too. Look at the Baja Designs site, Thats what im getting and they re-wrap the stator for the KDX to run there lights and blinkers without pulse or dimming of lights.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I've seen a baja unit advertised at 135 watts! That would work.

re: fix this

Meaning run two lights at the same time and NOT address the stator issue?

No.

Even a rewrapped stator will not get you enough power to keep the lights bright (with a taillight) without some revs. There is a yo-yo effect with making up a stator. You can use more/finer wire or less/thicker wire for the desired effect.....more volts or more amps. It is NOT a matter of wrapping a huge mess on it and getting more volts AND more current.

Talk to 'ricky stator' sometime. http://www.rickystator.com/

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
I went to Home Depot or Target i forget,and bought 2- 20 w bulbs for mine.Btw,you do mean the 2 little round sealed bulbs right?

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I don't run a tail light & run one 35w bulb. Been running it for about 6 months now, no problemo. Did one night ride (pitch black, way cool fun) - only hassle was not being able to tell where the trail went when I'd come to the brow of a hill. I also attached a glow stick so if I dumped it & the bike stalled, I'd be able to find the bike. I'd done a night ride with the stock headlight & wasn't impressed.

It depends on what you want the headlight for as to whether to get the coil rewound or not. For my one night ride a century, it's not worth it - I use it more as a marker for illegal riders - maybe they'll see me before I have a head-on while we're marking out trails. It's also a good way for the guys to see if I've still got the bike going or not (it's been hard-wired on, as someone broke the switch, which always got full of crap & wouldn't work anyway).
Hope that helps some

NYkdxer

Feb 21, 2003
I'll be buying a 1989 KDX 200. What is the lighting coil output? The bike has no tail-light, so could a run a higher wattage bulb due to that? Is a 55/60 watt bulb too much?

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
The stock KDX250 I have is wound for 70watts. Works great with the UFO Twins light -- same thing basically.

I have them wired in parallel there (think I got that right) from postive to negative from one to the other. I do not run a taillight on the bike.

The best thing if you do run a taillight is to run a LED bulb. They take very little power to work and will free up extra watts for the front lights.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
LED's require exact voltage. If they don't get it...they don't work. So, LED's work intermittently without a battery. :(

Top Bottom