Acerbis Handgaurd Installation

Dirt Man

Aug 4, 2004
I started installing the new Acerbis Rally Pro Handgaurds that I recently purchased for my 05 KDX 220. When I cut out the grip on the left side I realized that the bar is solid with an exception of a small hole in the center. I haven't even touched the right side at this point so I'm not sure what I'm up against on the the throttle side. What are my options at this point? It seems that I could: 1. Possibly tap the hole and use it to secure the handgaurd. 2. Drill out the bar to accept the anchor bolt the kit came with. 3. Or should I just buy a new set of bars? Could someone out there that has installed handgaurds in the past please advise me of the my best option.

Thank you,

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
Personally, the stock steel bars are junk so I'd just get some nice aftermarket alloy bars and be done with it. My personal favorite is MSR in CR High bend. I think I only payed $30.00 for them new off of ebay. I bent my stockers in a low speed tip-over in a rocky section.......I couldn't believe how little it took to bend them.

mikej43

Apr 14, 2005
Drill Em

The stock bars are not solid, but due have a metal plug.
To install the Guards, use the existing mounting inserts for the bars.
Just step drill the plug until it is the correct size hole. We did our KDX 220's, it was a little work but it did work out OK.

If you do later bend the Stock bars, the new aftermarket handle bars you purchase probably will not have a metal plug in their ends.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Dirt Man said:
I started installing the new Acerbis Rally Pro Handgaurds that I recently purchased for my 05 KDX 220. When I cut out the grip on the left side I realized that the bar is solid with an exception of a small hole in the center. I haven't even touched the right side at this point so I'm not sure what I'm up against on the the throttle side. What are my options at this point? It seems that I could: 1. Possibly tap the hole and use it to secure the handgaurd. 2. Drill out the bar to accept the anchor bolt the kit came with. 3. Or should I just buy a new set of bars? Could someone out there that has installed handgaurds in the past please advise me of the my best option.

Thank you,
Cut 1/2 inch off each end, the solid piece is spot welded at the end so it will fall out if you do this.

Top Bottom