Acerbis Rally 2 Hanguards, Questions

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I'm looking to get some quality handguard protection for my new CR and I like the look and function of the Rally 2s. I really like the aluminum support behind the spoilers because it will protect my levers but more importantly my hands and wrists.

But I have a few questions. The particular page of the product on Acerbis's site is confusing. On one section they say that mounts are included for standard bars but on another section it says that handguards and mounting kits are sold seperately. Have a look for yourself:

http://www.acerbis.com/p106_handguard/5508.html

I have a 2001 Honda CR125 with the stock bars and I need to know if I need a seperate mounting kit. Also my friend's dad has aluminum handguards on his XR250 and he had to cut off part of his grips for it to fit and basically it looks like garbage and his throttle rubs against it. If it's that much trouble and I have to worry about sticking points like that, I'd rather just get the MX guards. So can someone shed some light on me.

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
You only have to cut the ends off the grips, took me about fifteen minutes, then you adjust them (in or out) and they will not rub. Just get a razor blade and cut the end of the grips cleanly and you won't see the aluminum at all. They work great, but some folks have concerns that in a wreck, their wrists will get caught in the guards braeking their wrists, this has never happened to me, and I have went over the handlebars one time thus far. They are very strong and you don't have to worry about brances etc. hitting you hands. As for your question about the mounts, I think the rally pro's come with them already, $79.00 I think.
Good luck :D

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Thanks speedway. I appreciate your advice but since they really aren't a great protection for your wrists and hands and I don't really like the Rally Pros, I might get the MX guards. I don't know.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Jaypro55. I run the Acerbis Flag guards... With those, you have to buy the guards, (which they now have the flag, vented flag, and flag lites) for about $25-$29 and the mounting kit is universal for all 3, $10. I dont know if the MX guards have the kit or not, you would have to look into that.
Anyway, I went with the flags, for some of the same reasons you said. A friend of mine has the aluminum, "Barkbusters" and they look like crap!. the grips are all cut up at the end, his lever scrapes the aluminum guard each pull, like nails on a chalkboard...PLUS, I run an aluminum throttle tube, and there is no way I am drilling a hole in that after spending the money to upgrade for the tube.... so I went with the flags , they are adjustable, keep you hands clean and free from brush. My bud went down with those alum guards, they bent all the way down and stayed that way. I havent lost a lever now since I have run the guards. I keep them semi tight, when I go down, they pivot down, then i PUll them back into place, bo bigge. THE DOWNSIDE, they wont offer much crash protection, when impact occours, they fold in.
CASE IN POINT. I ran a harescramble this year, on first lap, we went into woods, people everywhere, I tracked off, around a tree on this tiny trail, WHACK, left guard hit a tree, how I didnt wreck , I have no idea, but I keep 2 fingers on the clutch, those were fine, my pinky and ring finger were on the grip, which when the guard collapsed, the lever collapsed and bent over my fingers, I thought they were broken for they bled all race. ...SOO, I know you said they dont offer much crash protection, I was just reaffirming that to you, but for the price, they are worth it for like sticker bushes, roost and rocks, and just cleaning is not as involved on all your controls since it covers it, also in rain it can keep your hands dryer, or crossing water or mud... just some input... :D

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
zcookie, thank you very much for your input. I think I have decided that it's probably best not to go with the Rally style guards. For an MX bike like mine, even though I ride all trails it's just not worth it and the MX guards look very nice. Now it's just a matter of what kind to get. The Flags or the MXes.

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Jaypro55,
I think maybe you misunderstood, if you put the barkbusters on the right way, they look good, cannot see the end of the handlebar, or the cut grips, they don't rub on the gas throttle or the levers, in fact I have probably three to four inches of space for the levers, and they offer the best protection for your hands and your handle bars in the event of a crash. The only downside is you could possibly get your wrists caught in them when you wreck, but I didn't and am aware of this, I guess it has happened but there is plenty of room in there for you hands.
good luck

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom