NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Dennis,
I had surgery 11/10/99 and rode for the first time around Valentines '00 - it was too soon. I was able to ride the easy/beginner trails at Hungry Valley SVRA but it hurt pretty bad that night. Firecracker22 recently had ACL reconstruction and got back on the bike a month or so ago - I think she was out for ~2 months. Not sure how she's doing at this point.

My recommendation would be to wait until fall to ride.

Brian

Dennis Meyers

~SPONSOR~
Nov 24, 2000
I'll have to see what the Doc says, but I don't want to push it too soon. I hate the idea of waiting until the fall, but I hate the idea of going through this surgery again even more!:scream:

jgettys

Feb 22, 2002
Good to hear your doing well. I too will be getting my ACL repaired soon. Doc is going to use a donor from my hamstring. I asked how long before I can start riding and get back to normal. He advised me anywhere from 3 to 12 weeks. I guessing that the better shape your in the faster the recovery. I'm no slug, but I'm no Olympian so I'm guessing (read hoping) about 6-8 weeks. Good luckto you and hope you get to ride 100% soon.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Guys, this whole thread is beginning to really HURT me. I just am getting pains in all my joints because of it. "Popping, snapping, Tearing" Ouch!!! :scream: I am getting nightmares about this ACL thing.

Can any of you give any advice on what to do to help prevent this? I mean, was there something in your riding style that could have benn changed that might have prevented this injury? I know that a knee brace will help, but is that the only thing??

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I tore up my knee playing basketball...... My left foot stayed firmly attached to the just mopped floor - great traction - as the rest of my body did a fine looking pirouete around my left knee. I really don't think a brace would have prevented the damage. Most braces can't/don't eliminate purely torsional injuries because of the difficulty in designing a mounting system that can react to the forces.

Brian

Dennis Meyers

~SPONSOR~
Nov 24, 2000
Yesterday was my 2nd day of physical therapy, all seems to be going well. I started back to work full time this monday and the crutches are a distant memory. I had 94 deg. of flexion and almost full extension as of yesterday, and they have had me using light weight resistance.I also saw the Doc. yesterday and got some X-rays. I about dropped when I saw the size of the staple and the interference screw they used!:scream: That staple looked like ones electricians use to install Romex wiring in homes, only wider. The screw was large enough to fill the 10mm hole he bored through my tibia, probably an inch and a half long! You would've thought Bob Villa assisted in the surgery.:eek: Anyway, about my riding "style" and the injury. This happened exiting an off camber switchback. I hung my leg out to catch the bike in case it slid out from under me and my heel caught a rock on the track. My leg was extended too far and the forward momentum severely hyper-extended it. I was accelerating out of it in 2nd gear, WFO. Ouch. My heel was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.:mad:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by Dennis Meyers
You would've thought Bob Villa assisted in the surgery.:eek:

Ever watched knee or hip replacement surgery on Discovery? I swear those 'doctors' use the same tools in the OR that I have in my garage - Makita cordless drill, sawzall, etc:scream:

Brian

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
Originally posted by MikeT
Can any of you give any advice on what to do to help prevent this? I mean, was there something in your riding style that could have benn changed that might have prevented this injury? I know that a knee brace will help, but is that the only thing?? [/B]
Best adivce is to keep your qauds and hamstrings strong and limber ( streched ) . The movement it takes to tear an ACL is unbelievably slight , so there is quite a bit of dissagreement out there on wether or not a brace would prevent injury . Seeing as staying home is not an option , luck is all we have .

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Can any of you give any advice on what to do to help prevent this? I mean, was there something in your riding style that could have benn changed that might have prevented this injury? I know that a knee brace will help, but is that the only thing??
I'm 34 months post ACL reconstruction. What dirtybkr says is all true. In some cases a knee brace can mitigate an ACL injury. Just ask knobbiethrower. Try running up and down stairs to strengthen your quads and hamstrings. Make sure to properly stretch before and after.

Dennis Meyers

~SPONSOR~
Nov 24, 2000
Hey all, 2 weeks post-op,full extension, 130 deg. flexion and the knee feels great! As far as prevention goes, my Doctor and Physical Therapist both feel that braces are not that effective in prevention of injuries. But at the same time, there are many Doctors who feel they are effective. I guess it depends on the circumstance, and the type of injuries each Doctor sees. I am positive that mine would have been prevented if I had been wearing a brace! The Doc is going to prescribe a CTI2 for me, and I have been trying to convince him to get me one for the left leg, as a preventitive measure, but he hasn't given me a yea or nay on that yet. If he doesn't, I may just order a pair of Asterisks (again), and not even bother with the CTI2 for the right knee!

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Dennis,
I have a CTI2 that was prescribed and I bought a SET of the Asteriks at xmas. Depending on your leg shape the Aseterik may be more comfortable - the mounting strap set-up is way more comfortable with the Asterik - and you could get a set of asteriks for 1/2 the price of a single CTI2. See Truespodes Asterik thread in the product forum for more info.

Brian

d-smith

Oct 15, 1999
I just had an ACL and miniscus repaired, during the procedure the doc found a groove in my femur. He told my wife that I shouldn't ride again, this is something he never mentioned before the operation. Has anyone else had this groove thing? I'll be going for my post-op appointment next week. That doc will have some questions to answer!

Dennis Meyers

~SPONSOR~
Nov 24, 2000
A groove in your femur? That's new to me, I haven't heard of anyone having damage like that before. I would definitely get a second opinion about the no more riding thing! I wish you well with your recovery! :) All is well here, except for me tearing my hamstring at physical therapy on friday. :eek: I was doing leg presses, just 90lbs. As I was pushing it all the way out to lock the machine, I heard a faint "pop" and felt a minor release in the back of my knee. :ugg: No biggie, we just had to remove all the exercises that involve the hamstring for a while, until it heals. My Physical Therapist says it will be fine as long as I back off and take it easy for a while.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom