phatbstrd

Feb 26, 2005
Glad to hear Dan.

OldGuy - Thats some funny stuff lol! Thanks.

I am planning on selling my KX to remove any temptation to get back early. Living in Utah, i won't have a chance to ride for a year and a half or so. When the 2010 riding season comes along, I will buy a new 450 for a reward. Now gota find someone to buy my KX.

DieselTech

Always breakin' something
~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
I tore my ACL last June, on the 2nd I think it was, during practice on a Monday. It happened while riding my son's KXF250 (I ride a CR250). Slight discomfort, wobbly knee, but not super-painful. Went to the emergency room later that night, doc said it wasn't an ACL tear, most likely just a stretched ligament or two. Told me to give it a rest & if it got better, go back to normal activities.

Took the next day off from work, felt ok though. That's the only time I missed from work. Raced 2 weeks later on Father's day, landed hard from a jump & felt my knee give - this was on the 1st lap of my 2nd moto. Decided it best to get off the track before causing more injury. Went back to the doc, gave me the same story, but ordered an MRI. Did the MRI twice because they couldn't believe I was doing everything I was doing (walking, working, riding) with what appeared to be a completely torn ACL. 2nd MRI verified it. Had surgery on July 29th, all went well. Crutches for a week, no real pain meds to speak of (a couple maybe it was). Started PT and worked hard at that.

At 3 months after surgery (Nov. 1st) I raced my quad in a local Hare Scramble, got 19th out of 85 in my class. No issues with the knee, only slight pain every now & then. Good ROM & strength (left knee, and left leg is actually STRONGER than the right now). I wear Asterisk Cell braces now (ever since the initial injury in practice). Doc cleared me for normal activities in Dec. 'Course, he doesn't know I raced in Nov.....I expect no issues with the knee. BTW, this wasn't my first serious injury either.....broken femur in 2003 (rod & screws), broken tibia/fibula 2006 (rod & screws), a few broken/cracked ribs, and broken collarbones (same one twice). IMHO, it all starts in your MIND. Just like racing, it's a mental challenge - beat that and the body tends to follow.

Good luck!

phatbstrd

Feb 26, 2005
Well, I am a week out of surgery. Only taking a pain pill at night for comfort. Cant wait to get into PT after my Dr. appt on Tuesday. So far I am in an imobilizer but can get about 85 degrees ROM. My quad is completley shutdown so extension is the roughest. My knee was pretty bad. 4 hours of surgery to repair the ACL (w/patella tendon), lateral miniscus, and am waiting to hear what he did (if anything) for my lcl.

Thanks for the advice guys. It truly helped me prepare. Now the recovery begins!

Oh, I talked to my doc about Asterisk knee braces I wouold be using and he said I would be getting a $900 custom knee brace paid for by insurance. Does anyone know what brace this is? How does it compare to the MX knee braces?

DieselTech

Always breakin' something
~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
As for the brace, I doubt it. I had one that they gave me that was like $500-600 (for just the left brace) and though it was a quality brace, it wasn't designed for motocross use specifically. I would want mx-specific braces (and for both knees, not just the one). That's why I purchased Asterisk Cells (about $600 a set) and they are very nice. I wore them while racing AFTER my ACL tear but before the surgery - not sure if they would prevent 100% of injuries, but I'm not willing to risk it again. I think they are worth the money, just wish the insurance would have paid for them. I wore them less than 3 months after surgery while racing a hare scramble also - I had no issues (I was on my quad though, not the bike).

The Asterisks are more securely held to your leg, and also provide more protection (not just stabilization and ROM limiting). So, that's why I'd choose mx-specific braces over the one you will get.

phatbstrd

Feb 26, 2005
yeah thats what i thought. I will buy the Asterisk's for riding. I will use the other one for skiing, softball, b-ball, etc.

Thanks Diesel!

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
Phatbstrd-- sounds like your doing alot better than I did. As for my recovering, it has came leaps and bounds. I am back to normal. I have full extension which is great and the only thing I am working on is bending my heel to my butt. I am getting close. I was amazed at how good the PT works for getting your quad muscles back. Things are going great and I am getting a CTI brace from my insurnace. I will be back on the bike in April.

DrMX249

Mar 30, 2009
Since you did not mention which Meniscus you tore, or what kind of tear you've sustained- I'm going to assume that you tore your Medial meniscus(inner aspect of the tibial plateau. I cannot guess the "type" of tear, however.

Lets start with a very basic anatomy of the cartilage you have injured. In my own words....

The Anterior Cruciate Ligament, located in the center of the knee joint, connects the femur to the tibia and is attached to the femural condyle and tibial plateau.
The ACL is one of the 4 ligaments that provides stabilization to the knee and prevents Anterior movement of the Tibia as well as preventing inproper roatation.

A completely torn ACL is usually repaired using an AutoGraph(a graph taken from elsewhere on the patient, ie a bone-tendon-bone graft taken from the patella tendon) or utilizing an Allograph, which is harvested from a human cadaver(usually utilizing the Achillies heal tendon.

There are other methods, however, the 2 mentioned are the most common.

Recovering from an ACL reconstruction surgery. Listen to your Doctors orders. Try not to extend the surgery leg while under resistance(like doing a leg extension in the gym) for 9-15months. Refrain from "cutting" or "twisting" motions(like soccer or football).

Do your best to keep your leg stable and carry out the physical therapists excersize instructions for 9-15months before deviating from his routine.

The Meniscus. The Meniscus is a C shaped "pad" of tissue. There are 2, the Lateral Meniscus(outer aspect of the leg) and the Medial Meniscus(inner aspect of the leg). Both serve as a "shock absorber" for the knee joint. More importantly, the meniscal tissue keeps the knee aligned and prevents "twisting" of the knee. The femural condyle(the end of the femur), is, more lack of a better explanation, seated in the meniscus. Thus, the meniscus prevent oscilation of the tibia(bottom leg bone twisting different direction than the top leg bone.

Torn Meniscus. The meniscus can suffer various "types" of tears. Some can be sutured, others require the Surgeon to cut the portion of the torn cartilage out. Why ? If the maniscus is torn, it can fold up, or flap- thus, interupting the mechanics of the knee which may cause the knee to buckle and injured vital ligaments.

If the meniscus is sutured, a diet rich in essential vitamins, proteins and time will allow the meniscus(which lacks a crucial blood supply) to heal properly.

If the meniscal tear needs be removed(Menisectomy) be it partial, sub-total or total, the patient should excersize extreme caution for the rest of their live. The more of the Meniscal cartilage that is removed, the more serious the long term side effects.

Lacking a substantial portion of the meniscus will allow the femural condyle to directly contact the tibial platuea. This is referred to as "bone on bone" contact. Also, the prevention of "twisting" will now be limited and a future injury is likely, should the patient not protect this knee.

Over time, the articular cartilage of the bone ends will begin to break down causing arthritis.

Summary. The injury you have sustained, I have sustained twice. I have had 2 ACL reconstruction surgeries, both with meniscal tears. A derotational brace is VERY important. Don Joy and CTI are the most commonly perscribed devices, however, you may not be perscribed a brace and they are expensive. Asterisk makes a pretty nice brace and I own 2 of them, along with my Don Joy.

Take it easy for a year. Keep your weight in check, eat healthy and take pleanty of vitamins. Glucosamine, Chondroitin & Msm will speed the recovery of the damaged cartilage within your knee. Go buy extra strenght G,C,M and take it daily.

Make sure that you stretch your leg after each workout, ALL MUSCLES. Get an understanding of the Anatomy and function(s) of the knee, this will help you cater to it.

Best of luck. Stay off that bike until your Doctor feels you are ready, trust me, not only am I in the Medical Profession, but I have seen many injuries and sustained many of my own....

Later.

Semper Fi

Top Bottom