adjusting fork angle for high speed stability

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
At http://koubalink.com/kdxinfo.html it says:
The KDX is an excellent bike for ISDE, enduro, and trail riding with its stock geometry, but if more open high speed terrain is in the majority, then you may want to consider setting the rear a little lower and/or setting the front a little higher than stock. Remember if the front pushes, most likely the bike is too high in the front and/or too low in the rear. If the front knifes or turns too quickly, then the opposite may be the cause.

They sell a slightly longer dog bones (5mm longer) for the unitrak which lowers the rear end 1.1inches which I figure increases the fork angle from 27 degrees to 28.8 degrees. Of course you can just adjust your shock spring preload for more sag and less rear end height but that doesn't change the fork angle when landing since both front and rear is fully extended when landing. From my experience I think the KDX is squirrelly on landings and when skimming over bumps. I really feel a MXer can really benefit from this but they only sell links for '95 and up 200s and 220s, but my bike is an '89 so I think I'll just save the $75 and go to the machine shop and let them extend them 5mm.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The devol push rod set is adjustable. You can either add or subtract heighth as you wish. Well..strictly speaking, there are three positions you can 'set' them to, one longer, one shorter, one in the middle.

That might be an easier way to go about it.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
The KDX front end "pushes" or washes out even with the very steep stock steering angle. Decreasing that angle should make it a very scary ride -- as many owners have commented on in past threads. The only real solution is a steering stabilizer.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
My KDX has never had a problem with washing out. I think that is more of a rider problem. You just gotta know how to do it. Get up on the tank more. I've been dirt riding mine for 2 years now and the front end has never washed out on me. But then again I am an experienced rider.
Why did you mention "decreasing the angle" when I'm talking about increasing the angle?
I don't think a steering stabilizer would affect turning unless the turn was very bumpy.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Canyon, I just looked at the Devol lowering linkages that MXSouth carries and they are only for Hondas and they aren't adjustable.
They also sell DeVol "transformer pull rods" that can be set to 5 different lengths for $99 but they are only for '95 and up KDX200s.

Last edited:
Top Bottom