ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
How can I lower the seat hight on my YZ250 by an inch or so? Do I just need to adjust the rear shoch or what? Meaning use the clicker on the shock to make it softer or am I going about it the wrong way?

it's set up perfect for my weight but a little to tall to reach both feet on the ground.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You don't lower seat height by messing up the sag ... the bike will handle like a chopper. I assume you've set static and race sag? Your best bet is to shave the seat foam, you can get 1/2" to 3/4" there. The subframe can also be cut (ala RC), that's something you don't want to attempt yourself tho.

Just pull the seat cover, get mom's electric knife and shave the foam.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Okiewan said:
You don't lower seat height by messing up the sag ... the bike will handle like a chopper. I assume you've set static and race sag? Your best bet is to shave the seat foam, you can get 1/2" to 3/4" there. The subframe can also be cut (ala RC), that's something you don't want to attempt yourself tho.

Just pull the seat cover, get mom's electric knife and shave the foam.

Well It's not that bad. I can touch with one foot flat tip toe on the other so i'll just leave it be. I didnt set the sag myself so i couldnt tell you.

I thought it was an easy adjustment to do but i dont want to cut the seat foam. Thanks though.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Okiewan said:
Bikes aren't made to have adjustable seat height :)

If you didn't set the sag yourself, then it's not set. It has to be done with YOU, in all your grear, on the bike. The bike will not handle correctly until you set it.

Ahh IC... Well how exactly do i do that? :think:

any step by step walk throughs on that?

Last edited:

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Hi. This should help. Scroll down to the third question in the list.

http://www.racetech.com/SubMenu.asp?cMenu=4&c=Yes&cSubMenu=11&showPage=dirt#3

Also, if you REALLY want it to have a lower seat height, get a professional suspension shop like MX - Tech to install internal travel limiters.

Really though, if you can touch one foot flat and one foot tip-toe, that is pretty good. Maybe you can try to slide over to one side before stopping, or...

just never stop riding. :-)

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Having been there, done that...if you chop the foam up, the relationship between the seat pocket (where you sit) and the handlebar height will change and it may FEEL like you're riding a chopper. That is, the bars will feel higher because you're sitting lower, and you'll feel like you're "in" the bike. I chopped my KDX foam a little and I wouldn't do it again.

At 5' 6", I can only put 1 foot down on either bike. That's enough. I just keep my feet up and ride thru it, jump off and use both feet.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You cut out a small section of the subframe and weld it back together. If you cut out too much you may have difficulty getting the muffler mounts to line up. Another, less severe side effect is having the tire hit the fender on impact. The latter is more of an annoyance than anything else.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
One thing you can do is slot the subframe mounting holes.

Where the subframe mounts to the frame tabs, you can slot the holes in the subframe on each side. This will allow you to push the subframe down lower when mounting it.
The slots will only allow the bar to come down until the welds hit the frame tabs, but it will give you an overall seat lowering of a little bit. (maybe 3/4" or so)
This method is essentially the same thing as cutting the subframe bars, but it won't allow you to go far enough to hose up the other mountings.

You will need to have the proper tools to slot the hole, like a metal cutting bit on a Dremel. (safety glasses are a must!)
A round file will take you forever.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
glad2ride said:
Hi. This should help. Scroll down to the third question in the list.

http://www.racetech.com/SubMenu.asp?cMenu=4&c=Yes&cSubMenu=11&showPage=dirt#3

Also, if you REALLY want it to have a lower seat height, get a professional suspension shop like MX - Tech to install internal travel limiters.

Really though, if you can touch one foot flat and one foot tip-toe, that is pretty good. Maybe you can try to slide over to one side before stopping, or...

just never stop riding. :-)

Thats pretty much what I do now.. ;)

Top Bottom