Dist1740b

~SPONSOR~
Jun 17, 2000
Hello
My tiny screw from my advancer shaft was almost half way out I noticed.
So (Not running) I took it all the way out (The pin came out with it, the previous owner must have magnetized it)
I cleaned the threads; put the pin in and loctited the screw.

Can I do that? Or did I just Screw something up!
I have the service manual, but it says nothing about this really.

Thanks
Tony

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
You should be fine. Take the cover off where the rod goes onto the cylinder & manually move the CLAW to the right. If it moves back to its resting position on its own you should be fine. The screw is meant to keep the PIN IN so the rod does not go Round, Round, Baby Round, Round, Like a Record Baby, Round, Round Baby, Round Round

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
The only thing the pin does is keep the shaft from walking in or out of the lower case. There is a groove in the shaft that the pin sits in to position the shaft so it isn't too deep into the lower portion, or too far out. Removing and replacing it will not cause any problems. If the shaft wasn't in exactly the right position you'd never get the pin back in.

Manually turning the KIPS shaft isnt' the best idea either. You put a lot of leverage on the pin on the lower end because you are trying to compress the return spring on the bowl-shaped governor (I can't remember the name for it). You can easily bend or break the small bracket that holds the pin on the shaft. Trust me. I did it a few weeks ago when checking everything out. Turned the shaft about 1/8th of a turn and it spring back. Did it again and things didn't feel the same. Took the lower side cover off and found the bracket bent and cracked from trying to push the spring in.

Dist1740b

~SPONSOR~
Jun 17, 2000
Got it,
I wish Clymer had a manual for this ride '03 KDX200
They explain all that stuff.
Maybe its becuse of the internet and user groups like this
That there isn't a manual !

Thanks again

Top Bottom