advice needed about selling a used bike

JustinC

Apr 5, 2005
i need some advice about selling used bikes, do you usually get the title transferred into the buyers name or not. i might put yz 125 up for sale and not quite sure what to do. i heard a horror story from a guy i used to work with about someone getting hurt on a bike they just bought. the person that got hurt ended up suing the original owner of the bike was still in the original owners name. im not sure how true this is but it has got me concerned. what do you guys think?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
In Wis dirtbikes are not titled but my guess is if you have a title for the bike be sure you sign it over to the buyer once payment is confirmed.
I would also have a receipt with the wording somewhat to the effect whether there is a title or not just for my own records.
I __Your name_____________ have sold this __Year make and model ____ Veh ID Number___ ___________ to ________Buyer_name and address________. This bike is used and sold in as is condition with no warranty implied or given.
Payment is ___$amount___ by ___cash/check money order#___
signature seller ___________ date__________
Signature buyer____________ date__________

Not a total legal document but it gives you the date sold, name and address of buyer, and his signature that he knows it is used with no warranty.

Make it duplicate so he gets a copy and you keep one also

JustinC

Apr 5, 2005
thanks for the advice old guy. that is another thing i was concerned about, having the buyer start calling you if mechanical problems come up. a guy i used to ride with sold a bike to a new rider, the new rider smoked the clutch in one day and claimed the bike was sold to him with a bad clutch.

Top Bottom