Advice on a possible bike for wife - needs repair

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
My wife is 5'5" but is a total beginner on dirt bikes and would be completely uncomfortable on a full size bike.

I know where I can buy a 2005 RM85 for $500. Pretty good condition save one thing - there is a crack in the threads around the oil drain.

Anyone have any success in repairing such a crack. The guy that has the bike is honest and he says it barely leaked until he epoxyed it and now it doesn't.

I don't expect the epoxy to hold.

Drill it out and put in a larger drain bolt?

Buy a new (used) case?

Might this work?

http://durafix.com/

Or this?

http://www.cgenterprises.com/drain_plugs_oversize_repair.htm

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Shoot, for a $500 bike, just pull the clutch cover off and lay the bike on its side when it's time to change the oil ;)

Not related to the repair question, but are you sure an RM85 is a good choice? While the size might be great, those hyper ankle biter mincycles can have a bad attitude, and may scare off a beginning rider.

JMHO.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I understand guys. . . I've owned or family has owned XRs, CRs, RMs, the current YZ250f and KTM 200, street bikes, etc . . .

Mom's got an XR80 that can be used for beginning training. Wife's too big for it long term. She's probably too big for the RM85, as well, but at least it has better suspension than an XR/TTR.

Peaky power, I know, but it's a newer bike for $500. If she doesn't like it, I can always sell it and likely get my money back (or more).

I just need advice on repairing the crack.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I forgot the KDX 400 dad had and the KDX200 and KX250 my brother had. . .

XR75 and XR100 I had - we sold it and ended up buying it back 10 years later for my brother.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I'd buy it. A good epoxy job will hold that leak for a long time. You could always have it welded too, if you felt like going to the trouble.
I'm awful fond of 85's though. Fun little bikes.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I had a KX125 that had the same little problem. If there is enough of the thicker part of the case around the bolt hole, tap it to whatever size will get rid of the crack. Worked great for me.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Well, if you're back in the market, I second considering a CRF150F or XR100 or TTR125, or something along those lines (instead of a 80/85). Bunch of CRF150Fs on Craigslist around here for $1400-1600... TTR 125s for around $800-$1200.... a little more than $500, but should be a little less maintenance, hold their value pretty well, and more friendly for a beginner bike.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I'd say put her on your moms bike and let her learn the clutch then take her to the woods where there is evevation changes and bumps and see if she is having a good time and and if its something she would like to do all the time BEFORE you waste alot of time wondering witch bike or money acually buying a bike. most women are not crazy about off roading especally on 2 wheels

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
sr5bidder said:
I'd say put her on your moms bike and let her learn the clutch then take her to the woods where there is evevation changes and bumps and see if she is having a good time and and if its something she would like to do all the time BEFORE you waste alot of time wondering witch bike or money acually buying a bike. most women are not crazy about off roading especally on 2 wheels

As a rule, I don't buy anything used that I can't make money on reselling.

Thus, I'm not that concerned about whether or not she'll like it - if she doesn't, I'll just resell and at least get my $$ back.

And believe me, I'm not spending a lot of time worrying about it - I check craigslist pretty much every day for bikes to buy and resell, so . . .

And she's been in the woods quite a bit on 4 wheelers. Took her out a gnarly trail last week - I was surprised she made it (didn't expect the trail to have degraded that much. . .)

FNG

May 2, 2008
When I met my wife she had a KX80 from a previous relationship. He was a tool and taught her nothing and expected her to know everything. She sold it pronto.

Now 10 years later, god bless her, I got her a TTR 125. Did the airbox mod/jetting upgrade with a 1 tooth larger front sprocket. She loves it! I will be adding some stiffer front springs/oil and an aftermarket exhaust tip. Other than that, the wife has a blast and it is plenty powerful.

She is 5'4 and 100lbs soaking wet.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
The same exact thing happened to my RM, we grinded the drain hole down, welded a block of billet on it, and then helicoiled it out. still works like new 2 years later. I guess this does'nt really help now that he has sold it though.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I know a guy that just put an 07 RM85 on the market for $1800. As far as 85s go, the RM is probably the easiest for a beginner. He also has an 06 RM125 for the same price. I can put you in touch if you are interested.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
What's a 2005 DRZ-125 worth? Pretty good condition and runs good. I see asking prices between $900 and $1500 on Bike Finds.

Guy wants to trade me the DRZ for my 2004 KTM 200 - and I'm wondering how much boot to ask for.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
My wife and older daughter prefer our TTR125LE to the CRF150 we use to have. Lighter 'feel,' a bit lower.

Amount of suspension travel does not matter to, (or help,) a beginning rider. You've got to allow her to learn to 'like to ride,' before suspension travel will make a difference. Building confidence is the key. If she scares herself, you'll be in for a tough road ahead.

The XR80 is perfect to start. XR100 is a great next step. Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki 125 would THEN be a great bike for her, for a very long time. Lots of all of these out there, and I almost always break even or make money on the ones I've bought and sold.

Smaller bikes are less intimidating to beginning riders. Let her decide when she's ready to move up, and you'll both end up much happier!

Top Bottom