RM 125 Crankcase repair?? Advice Needed!

Sourstraw

Apr 17, 2003
My boyfriend was attempting to put some sort of metal shield on the bottom of his crank case, and he was wrenching way too agressively, and suddently the crankcase cover started leaking oil, and so he drained the engine, and then took a peek, and sure enough, there is a small crack near a seal. Is there any way to repair this either by using epoxy, or sodering, or welding? He is devastated ,and so am I, because my riding partner's bike is out of commission. You can e-mail me at Einrad@aol.com with advice. Thank you!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Sourstraw.

Check around with some of your local bike shops and see if any of them do aluminum welding. (TIG welding or Heli-arc welding.) If not, ask if they know of a welding shop in the area that does this kind of welding.

The best way to fix it would be to weld it. There are epoxys available that would probably seal the crack, but to be sure, it should be welded.

Just my $.02

Ol'89r

LJW

Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by Ol'89r

The best way to fix it would be to weld it.
Ol'89r [/B]

Good advise!

The cheap and dirty method would be to use JB Weld epoxy. Rough up the area around the crack with 36 grit sandpaper and clean with acetone. Mix and apply epoxy. You may have to position the part so the epoxy doesn't sag.
The 15 hour cure time will give you plenty of time to remind your boyfriend what a great mechanic he is!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom