Advice on an 86 KTM 350 mxc

JW

Oct 9, 2001
Hey there. I recently found an 86 KTM 350 at a bike shop. Some wrench time has been put in and the carb is last to do. I was hoping someone knew something about this bike and if it is worth getting. They will go to $700.00. But I don't know if these ktms are money pits or not. Some advice from guys who know KTMs would be great, also are parts hard to find? Thanks guys!

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
98 and newer seem to be the better ktms
my buddy had a 91 and it broke down every time he rode it

moto614

Nov 7, 2001
JW,if this is the 250 based 350,277cc (right now i can't remeber if tat bike was '85 or '86)stay way from it parts are non exsitent for that bike but,if it is the 500 based 350 if it's in good shape it may be worth it as the bottom end was based on the 500 so it's overbuilt and with the right care tend to last pretty well watch for wheel brngs,swing arm pivot and link brngs they seem to go quick on those bikes also there is a big gap between first and second (not neutral either)so most went one tooth smaller on the counter-shaft sprocket and used 2gear as first i raced one of these back in '87 it was a pretty fun bike bullet-proof and torquey as i remember.

hope this helps
good luck
jeff

Rick H

Nov 6, 2000
I had the 86 350 and it was one of the best bikes I ever had. As noted above don't go with the big bore 250 model but the real 344cc model.

JW

Oct 9, 2001
Guys, I appreciate your input. I will check tomorrow and find out which one it is. I am limited to how much I can spend and want to get the best that I can. If you have anymore good info on this bike please let me know. Thanks again

Iceman

Jan 15, 2002
The '87 350 engine was still used on the 1995 KTM 440's. The 1987 had the Bing carb. was was known to be very reliable. The 350 engine has huge amounts of torque.

A riding buddy of mine put over 10,000 miles of Cal. dessert riding on his and it is still going! We rebuilt the bottom and top end last year, parts were NOT a problem for our l dealer. We use it for ice racing now.

Good luck in your research.

The colder it gets the faster I ride.

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
i had a 88 mxc 350 and that bike was awsome, super torque. those bikes in my opinion are stronger than the newer bikes. i did have a hard time getting some parts. you wont be able to get a new gas tank or pipe. i am sure lots of other things. i cracked my expansion pipe and had it welded, because i could not get a replacement. thats why i got a new bike. :(

DirTasteGood

May 18, 2009
Yeah. Earlier Ktms had long wait times on parts, if you could find a shop. If it were up to me, i would not buy the bike for 700. First off, it is more than 20 years old. Second, i have seen 95 and newer ktm exc 300's and 380s going for jsut under a thousand. Continue to look around. If it juns good, parts are available, and the bike suits you, then do what you please.

Top Bottom