Advice on buying 98 H4 KDX200

robd

Jan 9, 2003
Hi, I am going to look at a 98 KDX 200 (H4) with 6500 miles on the odo this weekend with a view to buying it and competing in Clubman Enduros. Coming from a 2-stroke-trials background I have no experience of KDX's, is there anything I should particularly look for or be wary of?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Many Thanks

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Just keep an eye out for things that look unusual and use common sense. THe bikes are pretty durable.

Does the owner have service records? How often does he change tranny oil, clean air filter, grease bearings?

Have modifications been done to the bike?

Is there a DRN sticker on the bike?

If the price is right there isn't much that can not be fixed. It's figuring out what might need to be fixed before you buy it that's the hard part.

Searching through the posts in this forum will help you a lot.

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
It if was taken care of and the price is right, it's a mighty fine machine. easy to work on, easy on the mods.

It sounds like you might know this person and therefor where it's been.

I've never met a used bike for sale that didn't 'have a fresh or recent top end'. If's so ask for reciepts :D

I thought justkdx.dirtrider.net or somewhere there was an article on buying used bikes. Common pitfalls and the like. I recall one in DirtRider the magazine in the last 18 months. Perhaps the libraries still have it.

-MD

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…