Tom Dubya

Jul 5, 2009
Hey guys,
pretty new to the world of dirt bikes and wanted to see what you guys think. I have ridden dirt bikes in the past when i was younger and have owned a couple of street bikes. I really would like to get into some avid riding but do not have a lot of money to just plop down on a nice bike. I have been searching through criagslist and found a couple of various 80's and 90's 250 size dirt bikes for sale between $500 and a $1000 which is pretty much all I want to spend right now.
Here's a couple that have have caught my interest along with my info:
Well i guess i can't post the links, but one was a later 80's yz 250 for $500. And another was 87 Kx 250 for $900 or best offer. They have some pic's of them on craigslist in st.louis if anybody was so inclined to look. If anybody is in the St.louis area that knows of any deals like this I would be intrested. Thanks Guys for your input if any.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)6'0/225
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?mildly 3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Woods/fields
4) Do you have any riding experience? some
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Somewhat and my brother inlaw would be doing all the things I couldn't. 7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?no
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?yes 9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?$500 to $1000 10) Do you live in California? No11) Your age? 33
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Tom Dubya

Jul 5, 2009
Just found a 1986 honda XR200, do you guys think that would be way to small. Its only $550 and it has a new back tire,chain,back sprocket, new clutch and front brake cable.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
There are a lot of good bikes out there that still have a lot of life left in them. I have a 1986 Yamaha YZ-125 that is still getting a lot of use. I bought it about 5 years ago for $600.

For most of the common parts you can still get OEM parts without any problem. Rebuilding the top end, clutch, forks, chain and sprockets are no problem. After market parts, such as pipes, silencers and plastics are often impossible to find.

When shopping for a bike take careful note of the overall condition as it can make a big difference in the actual cost of the bike. A bike that sold for $1000 but had new tires, good chain and sprockets and everything else in good shape can be trouble free for many rides while a cheaper bike may need $150 in tires, new chain, fork seals replaced, etc.

As for a type of bike: I would recommend a 250 two stroke. Something like a Yamaha YZ-250.

Rod

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
there is a 1994 kx 250 for 1000$(apears clean)
a 1993 yz 250 875$(looks nice)
and an rm250 for 975$(no pic or year)

...just remember to look it over really close, pay attention to how it runs, and dont be afraid to ask alot of questions about it. if you dont you could end up with a heap. thants what i did on my last bike, and it is eatong a hole in my wallet...

Tom Dubya

Jul 5, 2009
Where did you find those? I did see a few of those very simalar to what you are talking about on criagslist in the st.louis area. They are looking very tempting. I hope they are still around for another week or so.
93 yz 250 ($1000)$1200 in new parts
95 yz ($1200 obo)new exhaust,carb and bars
94 yz )700)new top and bottom end rebuild, chain and both sprockets
88 honda cr 250 ($950 obo)engine rebuilt

And i will be taking my brother inlaw(mechanic) along with me to check them out for me.

TorrenT

Jun 20, 2009
An XR200 would be waaay too small. When you sit on the bike, and if you get a chance to ride it, you shouldnt feel comfortable, you will get used to it. I would personally recommend checking out some newer bikes and just payin a little extra maybe around $1500-2500, so the chance of it breaking down is smaller.

DougTx

~SPONSOR~
Oct 5, 2008
6' 200Plus

XR 400

I saw you put woods and trails.. I have seen some late 80's and early 90's models for $1k or so. They are pretty much bullet proof if not abused terribly. Not liquid cooled, you can ride low speed and it will not overheat, lot's of folks have them, lots of parts and support.

For your size (height) I would shy away from a 200 for the frame size. A 2smoke 250 would be nice and certainly less expensive than a newer 4stroke.

I sold mine and got my CRF250X, I love it but the XR400 is a tank, I just wanted lighter weight, more jumping ability and the estart.

Enjoy man and welcome back to riding...

Tom Dubya

Jul 5, 2009
Thanks Doug. I just found a 93 kdx 200 2 stroke for a $1000 listed on criagslist and its just down the street from my house. I've heard that is the used bike to get and it falls right in between the line of a 150 and a 250.

I also went over to the local yamaha dealer the other day to check the different sizes to see how they would feel. And the yz 150's and 250's were the same size dimensionally. I thought that the 150's were smaller in size? I guess its just the engine and suspension on them huh.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
yz125 is a bit smaller than a 250. You'd know with a bit of seat time on both.

KDX200 is a fantastic bike to get started in trail riding, and it has the ability to grow with you as you get better and more confident.

Don't be alarmed by the "kips rattle" when you hear that old 93 run. They sound like a bucket o' bolts.

Tom Dubya

Jul 5, 2009
Lol ya i've recently heard about the "kips".

But i'm still torn between what kind of riding i would want to do. My dilemma is if i want to do some jumping or more aggressive riding will the kdx be able to handle it. Also there is so much more on the market 250 (2 stroke wise) than anything else. So the opportunity for a better deal is more availiable. But will the 250 be a bit much, I guess thats what i'm trying to get through my head. I've heard it both ways. But now i've got money in hand to go looking. :)

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
the kdx is like the xr of the 2 stroke world, as long as it isnt horribly abused, they are like tanks, bullet proof, it will chew and spit out whatever you give it. a kdx 200 sounds like a good bike for you, go check it out, and have fun

dirttbbike

Jul 20, 2009
do u still need a dirt bike/ if so email me dirttbbike@yahoo.com

Tom Dubya said:
Hey guys,
pretty new to the world of dirt bikes and wanted to see what you guys think. I have ridden dirt bikes in the past when i was younger and have owned a couple of street bikes. I really would like to get into some avid riding but do not have a lot of money to just plop down on a nice bike. I have been searching through criagslist and found a couple of various 80's and 90's 250 size dirt bikes for sale between $500 and a $1000 which is pretty much all I want to spend right now.
Here's a couple that have have caught my interest along with my info:
Well i guess i can't post the links, but one was a later 80's yz 250 for $500. And another was 87 Kx 250 for $900 or best offer. They have some pic's of them on craigslist in st.louis if anybody was so inclined to look. If anybody is in the St.louis area that knows of any deals like this I would be intrested. Thanks Guys for your input if any.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)6'0/225
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?mildly 3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Woods/fields
4) Do you have any riding experience? some
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Somewhat and my brother inlaw would be doing all the things I couldn't. 7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?no
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?yes 9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?$500 to $1000 10) Do you live in California? No11) Your age? 33
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Tom Dubya

Jul 5, 2009
Well guys i decided on the kdx 200. I rode one tonight and bought it. The power it had seem much better suited for me right now. Its in great condition, the guy really took care of it.
Taking it for my first ride tomorrow. Thanks for all your help,i really appreciated it.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
According to your info, the KDX would be a really good bike for you. I am looking at buying a newer KDX 220 myself. The KDXs are good woods bikes, whereas you will have a hard time riding trails on a 125. A 125 is all top end, high rpm power...that is not optimal for trail riding...trust me, I just sold an RM 125. A CR, YZ, or RM 250 can be set up for woods riding, but that costs money. If it is a decent bike, buy the KDX.

Tom Dubya

Jul 5, 2009
Yep thats what I did and took it out for the first time yesterday. That things got plenty of power for me. I had a blast. Going out to tomorrow to.

I tried doing some jumps but kept chickening out most of the time. Although i did pop the front tire up about 2 ft. a couple of times. The one thing that scares me is involuntary twisting the throttle from the force of the launch, if that makes any sense.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
that is normal for when you first get back into riding its kinda like the bike is riding you untill you get ballanced and used to the bike. grab the throttle straight where you have to bend your wrist backwards to give gas many people grab it from above then it is halve open when the wrist is in the natuaral position.

take your time learning your bike THEN push yourself and try jumps and whatnot

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Wear a helmet...and find some used boots..they have them on Ebay. It seems like common sense advise, but I know some younger guys who ride ATVs without a helmet.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom