Dec 19, 2006
:( well, here goes. i'm typing one-handed, because i dislocated my right collarbone yesterday. i was on my 4th day of learning, and was doing pretty well. i was planning to buy a chest/roost protector anyway; too bad i hadn't yet!
do you think it would've helped prevent the injury? other than the dislocation, i didn't hurt anything else very much at all. in fact, less than 24 hours later, the bruise on my shoulder is already smaller.
i was wearing my helmet, gloves, goggles, elbow and knee/shinguards, so i'm grateful for that.
what are your recommendations for a chest protector?
also, can you wear shinguards over your boots? no big deal, i'm just trying to avoid buying knrrguards, if i don't have to.

thanks!

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Ouch.

There was something like this earlier, about whether or not a chest protector/roost guard would actually protect on impact. Dislocating your collarbone, would be pretty much caused by impact, and I don't think a roost guard would of helped.

Get better soon. :)

Edit- maybe I should leave it up to the ladies to answer this more thoroughly for you. Didn't notice it was in this forum until after I posted.

Dec 19, 2006
that's ok, i posted here, in hopes of finding a protector that really fits. i'll chrck other forums too. i figured a protector wouldn't solve the problem, but i was hoping it would!
i also kayak and mountain bike, so this is a multiple cramp in my style! :(

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
I separated my CV joint while wearing a FOX chest protector, they are more for roost that to save collarbones/shoulders.
If you search, you will find a variety of mixed conclusions on this, many people if fact feel that a hard chest protector leads to broken collar bones, but I always wear mine and exit often, with no broken collar bones.

progirlz

Sep 8, 2006
I'm sorry you got hurt. Doubt if a chest protector would have helped. I just got a sixsixone SP2 pressure suit. I just love it. I feel sooo protected in it. I got it on sale for $70.00. With one of these you don't need the extra elbo pads plus it has the spine and kidney guards plus plus its comfortable. I wear my knee pads over my pants but tuck them in my boots. There is no other way to do it since they are so long. You could probably wear the knee pads without the shin protectors so they don't have to fit inside the boot. Hope you heal quickly and fully. Wish you lived closer, I too like to kayak and mountain bike. Always looking for a new bud to play. Take care.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Now you can go join in on the Broken Collar Bone Club Thread!! :) Sorry about your injury, that is one I have somehow managed to avoid and it amazes me with all the really hard crashes I've had that I have not. I do not believe your chest protector could have saved you. I read somewhere that it only takes 12 pounds of pressure to break the collar bone (or perhaps that it was 12 ways in which it could break ) but its pretty common to break them.

Get well soon!

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
I have an old Fox chest protector, it has hard shoulder covers with mesh inner support (think most are like this?) that provides an extra impact cushion. How could it not help?! I slid along a metal guardrail once which left a big gouge in the front piece, I didn't get hurt at all. I wouldn't ride without it.

Nevertheless they're no guarrantees - heal up quick.

SusanP.
'04crf250x

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Ouch! Good luck on the healing!

OffRoadNewbieWoman said:
do you think it would've helped prevent the injury?

No, they mostly protect your chest from debris or smashing your chest on your handlebars (not that I have tried this).

OffRoadNewbieWoman said:
what are your recommendations for a chest protector?

It's hard to say. CPs you kind of have to try on and see what fits you best. Acerbis makes a women's specific one, but many women don't like it. I tried it on and it felt really awkward and I couldn't move my head side to side.

Fox also makes a women's specific one. I haven't ever tried it. I used to wear a Fox one and didn't like that the frontal coverage wasn't as good as I would have liked.

Currently I have been wearing a SixSixOne defender. I really like the way it fits and it's pretty comfortable.

Due to my contract I am now in, I can't wear that one anymore and have to wear one by MSR.

Honestly though, it's best to try some on and see how they fit. I'm on the small side and for MSR according to their sizing recommendations for the "adult" one, it should fit. It's really loose on me though. The kid's Large fits much better.

OffRoadNewbieWoman said:
also, can you wear shinguards over your boots? no big deal, i'm just trying to avoid buying knrrguards, if i don't have to.
Just get/wear the knee guards. Your knees will thank you. It usually only takes one good crash without those things and you'll wish you had them. Over the summer my husband crashed HARD. His knee was kinda sore, but he shrugged it off. Later that day when he went to take his knee guards off he noticed the one he landed on had a huge crack in the knee cup.
Those things can take a HUGE hit before they crack. He was really glad that he chose to wear them. That would have probably been his knee cap broken in half :ohmy: .

Just my .02

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Like said it only takes a few pounds of pressure to break a collar bone and I have no idea about a dislocation. But a full chest protector is the way to go IMHO :nod: . They spread the impact over a larger area, to decrease the number of pounds in any one place. Some are better then others, when you try them on try to imagine how you COULD be impacted...dirt, tree, rock, rider ect... VS how that model would protect you from that, and then balance that with price and comfort. Some people hate full protectors :bang: . Get well soon and get something!

DieToRide2007

Jan 2, 2007
dont feel bad bud. I can relate evn make you feel better and answer your questiion the first day getting my 2005 yz 125 i crashed it on a 60 triple and broke my collar bone(clavicle) and the chest protector didnt help much because i broke 1 rib and I saw my chest protector broke in the crash well heal soon

Dec 19, 2006
thanks for the responses. i am looking for a cp, and my husband thinks i should get a neck brace too. i think a cp would have to help.
as a kayaker, i have worn 661 elbow/forearm pads, and that has helped me feel more relaxed, which is very good. when i fell last week on my mx bike, i also had thor knee/shinguards on--hadn't started wearing the boots yet--that's next. my husband pointed out that i got a scratch/bruise on my right calf because i wasnt wearing my boots. i have an old chainring scar on that same calf. maybe i should wear my boots on my mtb? could be tough mounting the cleats...

Squirrel Girl

Oct 17, 2006
I wish I'd worn my chest protector while riding my mountain bike last year, ended up cracking a couple of ribs and know for certain that the cp would have prevented it. Landed on the edge of a big log full force into my upper chest. I would never ride my dirtbike without it, imagine the damage done with more speed! And boots are a definite must, no matter how uncomfortable, I'd rather a few blisters than a peg through the leg.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
OffRoadNewbieWoman said:
and my husband thinks i should get a neck brace too.

Neck braces are a good idea too IMO. I wear a ProCycleSafety (PCS) and I believe Nikki does too. I've been wearing that kind for about 4yrs now. I won't ride without it.

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
OffRoadNewbieWoman- Sorry about your accident. You'll heal fast because you're fit and have a positive attitude. Please wear those boots, I almost tore my leg off last week while wearing mine. Can't imagine what damage would have been done without them. Best of luck.

Dec 19, 2006
saw the orthopaedic dr today. he said keep the sling on for another week; come back to see him in 3 wks; stay out of work until the next appt. possible mri after next appt.
he didn't even LOOK at my shoulder or have me show him how much i could or couldn't move it. pissed me off.
planning to get a cp and probably a neck brace, before i start riding again. concerned that i may end up not really getting into riding.
why not? my concept of it may have been too tame. watched my husb. ride last saturday, and don't know if i'm up to what he wants me to do. this is a typical quandry for me--he's more gung-ho in all the sports we do; but so far has been good about not leaving me in the dust.
my plan is to give it a try, 'cause otherwise, i'll always have that question in my mind--what if i had really liked it? hoping to meet up with some folks who are at my level, so we each have folks to ride with.
so it goes.

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
OffRoadNewbie- Don't give up.You didn't become a mtn biker overnight and how long did it take you to learn to clear your mask scuba diving? I mtn. bike but am too chicken to clip in. Some people make riding look sooo easy but you know it'll take time to get to that level.An injury or bad experience is all part of it.The joy is in the learning.

Dec 19, 2006
:nod: you folks bring a smile to my heart, everytime i visit! today i ordered an acerbis fusion II cp, plus a jersey/pant/gloves combo. too bad i forgot to order a neckroll--duh. i'll see if i can add it to the order later today. gotta go for now, my husb. is getting the hot tub ready for us.
tough life, huh?
:cool:

Top Bottom