Rock Star

Nov 27, 2004
Ok ladies,
I am trying to purchase riding gear for my lady but it is not as easy as the men. Are there specific womens boots or do you just order 2 sizes smaller in men. If she wears an 11-12 in regular clothing (pants) what will fit in womens gear. If she has a big chest and smaller waist will a large jersey or XL fit I don't want to purchase too big. Oh and if it says girls is that the same as women sizes. WOW why can't it be easy like the guys. Oh and do you recommend any specific sight.

Thank You,
ladies

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Fox makes one pair of women's boots, but I can't recommend them--they are their lower-end boot, the Tracker. I had a pair of trackers once--not the women's ones, this was before that--and they were uncomfortable and ended up falling apart. Now these new ones might be better, but that was my experience. I would look at Alpinestars for starters--they make a size 5, which is lower than a lot of the other companies go. Maybe think about the Vector since they are a little bit shorter than the Tech 6 or Tech 8. I have a pair of Sidi Force boots, and I really like them. I'd figure just one size smaller than her women's size rather than two--I wear a 7.5 or 8 in women's shoes but my boots are a size 7, and they fit fine. I suppose they could be more snug, but that was the smallest size and I don't get blisters or anything. Also try a thick sock like the MSR hi-bulk socks.

As for pants, most of the brands that I have tried run pretty true to size except for the MSR. If she is an 11/12, then she should try a 10. The other brands I would get her normal size. I have not tried on the Answer or Thor but I have had O'Neal, Fox and Acerbis women's gear. The Acerbis is by far my favorite, but the only color it comes in now is pink, so if she's not a pink person, I wouldn't go that route. You can still find the old colors in blue/white/red in back stock on sites like www.mxsouth.com or www.motorcycle-superstore.com. Companies which make women's gear are Answer, Acerbis, O'Neal, MSR, Fox, Thor, LBZ (not my favorite at all) and some one-off companies like www.vixenoffroad.com and www.sickracinggear.com.

Good luck!

PS--it might be easier to TAKE her shopping than try to surprise her. Then she can pick out exactly what size, brand and color she likes. She also might prefer a non-women's company; the fit might be a little different, but there are a lot more choices in color.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
firecracker22 said:
I would look at Alpinestars for starters--they make a size 5, which is lower than a lot of the other companies go.

that's what kendall wore previously. she is wearing size 7 alpinestars now.

for what it's worth, kendall has a 28" waist (in boys gear) and now wears size 8 msr pants and a medium jersey. the pants and jersey fit loosely and she likes them that way. for the record, she is 5'-4", 112 lbs.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
firecracker22 said:
PS--it might be easier to TAKE her shopping than try to surprise her. Then she can pick out exactly what size, brand and color she likes. She also might prefer a non-women's company; the fit might be a little different, but there are a lot more choices in color.

That is exacty what I did with my daughter. Now she is properly outfitted and dad's wallet is $300 lighter. Now I have to work on getting her to come to Reno. I keep telling her the ride was start by and for women and us guys are only around to shlep stuff. :)

Tinkrides

Oct 7, 2004
Totally legitimate questions; I'm quite sure it was some MAN who made women's clothing so difficult! ;) I was wearing the Fox chick gear, but I didn't like the way it fit (perhaps b/c my hips are too big), so I switched to Sick Racing Gear (I saw someone already mentioned the website above) and love it. It fits great (freestyle pants work better for me - they run a little big compared to regular jeans, but I'd rather they be baggie than constricting); I also like the fact I'm supporting a company for women, run by women. I wear the AlpineStars Tech 6s and they work well - size 4 or 5 in guys (I can't remember, I wear a 6.5-7.5 in women's). And surprises are great, but Firecracker's advice is sound - consider letting her pick it out - we can be kind of sensitive and buying too big or too small could lead to nastiness... :p

Top Bottom