MXer666

Jul 15, 2007
hey, i need a aftermarket crankshaft for a 84 cr125r. i dont need the bottom end bearing or the connecting rod. But i know they sell them as a whole but where can i get them from. ive looked around and most companies dont offer a crank that old.

mxcrazed

Mar 1, 2008
I don't think you will find an after market one but you can go to mrcycles.com and you should be ale to buy each side of the crank

MXer666

Jul 15, 2007
ive looked at them all and no results. Its just that the tin cover on mine is loose. now ive read that some people have taken theirs off. Can i do this? obviously id send it out to be separated then have the tin casings removed then rebalanced. maybe that could be a road i could go down?

what would be the repercussions of doing this though? would there be too much side clearance between the crank halves and the washers that are on the bottom end? would the crank weigh less? I could just add a wheel weight right? just too add the weight i take off from the tin cover?

Thanks.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
You would lose compression in the bottom end and performance would most likely go down . I would advise against removing it . But you should probably have it tig welded to the main portion of the crank in a few spots . They do this (tig weld ) when a honda tin can crank it stroked .

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Loose or missing could be catastrophic. Some cranks can not be refurbished because of these parts. If welding is the solution, see if Pete is real busy. Someone with experience is priceless.

MXer666

Jul 15, 2007
ya maybe tig welding is the answer. if i get both sides tig welded in generally the same postion i can carefully grind it down to a thin layer so it doesnt upset the balance of the crank.

i havnt run it at all with the crank like this. i was just having a look at it one day and i noticed it was moving and this got me worried. although it probably developed from the crank running but didnt pursue into something bad.

whos pete?

Top Bottom