Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
Just wondering if anyone is running with the stock pipe with aftermarket silencer? The stock silencer looks like it weighs as much as the one on my Ford F150 :yikes: Plus it really is ugly. I'm not dissatisfied with the stock pipe yet but I here adding a Pro circuit or FMF gnarly really perks it up even more.

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
The stock silencer is the quietest one out there. The aftermarket ones do add a little performance, but not that much,Not a good "bang for the buck" IMHO. My suggestion would be to take the money and buy the aftermarket pipe and keep the stock silencer.The more we keep OUR bikes quiet , the more trails WE will have to ride in the future. That's a FACT. I'm a sucker for the FMF K-35 WOODS pipe.

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
I haven't checked recently, but isn't a new pipe about $199 - and a silencer up to $120 or so?? trailryder is right - when it comes time for a change, do the pipe first! IMO, you'll be "more happy". The pipe makes a huge difference. The silencer gets rid of a "clogged up" feeling, but the power increase is much less than the pipe change.

Jeff

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
The two previous posts are right. The pipe is WAY better for the more power per dollar considerations. Silencers in fact add very little power.
However if you are satisfied with the power you have with the stock pipe and just want to drop some weight and improve looks you can indeed just put on the aftermarket silencer with the stock pipe. The FMF Turbine Core or Turbine Core 2 silencers make good choices. The Turbine Core 2 silencer is quieter and is legal in all OHV parks. I in fact have the Turbine Core 2 and like it alot. It is still not quite as quiet as the stock silencer but it won't piss off the neighbors. The stock silencer has been described as a black hole for sound. But at a high cost in weight.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
If you want to get even closer to the quiet sound of the stock silencer than the TC or TCII get the FMF "Q" silencer. I love mine and can tell no difference in power from the TC that I was running. The Q is WAY quieter than the TC. In fact the noise coming out of the engine and sides of the FMF pipe are louder than the sound coming out of the end of the silencer.

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
Thanks guys

I really don't want it to be loud either and a spark arrester is a must. Not sure how much weight you save with the aftermarket silencer, any ideas? I'll probably weight until I cave in the stock pipe and buy both....and a pipe guard!

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
I "think" the weight savings is about 15 lbs. if you change the silencer and pipe. Rhodester is right...The Q is the quietest silencer. I forgot all about it when I posted earlier.
The "Q" was not widely available when I got my T2 silencer. Hence my failure to post info on the "Q". I opted for the FMF Gnarly Desert and Turbine Core 2 silencer with an E-Line carbon fiber pipe guard. The carbon fiber guard was expensive, but where I ride chucky loose rocks are the order of the day so I figured it was a worthwhile investment. The pipe coverage is a lot better than the metal spine type.

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
I just weighed my stock pipe (10 lbs) and silencer (6 lbs). The FMF pipe weights 5 lbs and FMF silencer 3 lbs. If you add a maier pipe protector it weighs 1 lb. Thus the most you will save is 7 to 8 lbs depending how you go. Now if you go with the FMF pipe you have to roll the dice, since it may or may not fit. The one I just received does not fit and now to resolve this it is a real pain. If I had to do it over again I would buy the procircuit pipe.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If you go the FmF TC-II route...be sure it comes with a mounting hardware package...grommets, sleeves and stuff. Seems it comes 'without' more often than 'with.' You can make your own 'kit' with various grommets and common sleeves, but it's a bit of a pain...both have to be 'modified' to fit and aren't as clean as the kit that comes from FmF.

I've had zero luck getting the hardware separately, and FmF ignored me when I tried to get it from them.

If you buy it from a local shop/store...don't walk out the door OR pay for it until you see that it's a complete package.

imo and all.......

Oh...you realize the oem S/A never needs to be repacked or really even cleaned, right? And an aftermarket S/A needs to be repacked AND cleaned quite often.

Well...a lot of guys don't do it often. Those are the louder bikes that don't run so good. A clean, newly (properly) repacked S/A is quieter and makes more power than one that is clogged up and not maintained.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom