skyzo

Apr 1, 2010
OK, so Ive asked a few questions about my MR250 on here, and everyones been real helpful and Ive got alot of things figured out. The last question I have, is what can I do to replace the filter and cage. My bikes airbox is completley empty, no filter, no cage. Came that way when i bought it. Ive attached an image of what an original looks like.

it is near impossible to find a filter that will fit this bike, let alone the cage. is there anything i can fab that would work, or another bike that uses a similar type of filter?

Attachments

• airbox.JPG
    airbox.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 313

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I have never ran the k&n off road. Many have, seemingly without issues? I was doing REALLY good to find a cage and box, that still works, for my 78 RM. The hard goods are just not available. Did you try vintage Honda, or CR, Elsinore or even maybe MR sites? Do you have the boot from the air box to the carb, without cracks? Vintage Bob

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Looks like a K$N in there now. You can still get the right filters from Honda dealer. $36. Or you can buy a uni 4025st filter. About $20. I prefer the Honda filters (I have one of each). As far as the cage goes, you can still find them all the time on ebay. Same cage as '75-'76 CR250M1 elsinore. You might have a '76 cr250m1 airbox there, as the MR250 ones are black (unless of course someone repainted yours) and have three screw on the side holding the cover on. If your's is a cr250m1 box, it will work on the MR too. Find a cage and buy a new filter. They are a very good setup and work well. good luck.

skyzo

Apr 1, 2010
OK so I found a filter from Uni, but still havent found a cage. they are near impossible to find.

Also, off topic, I didnt want to start a new thread, but does anyone know the crankcase oil capacity and proper weight for these early hondas. the cr250s of the era had the same capacity as the MR, so if anyone knows thatd be extrememly helpful.
Thanks

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I uploaded Honda shop manual for this bike. Try downloading it from here: http://uploading.com/files/bm5m31m5/mr250.pdf/

Also, here is a site you need to join that specializes in these bikes: www.honda-elsinore.com
Look in forums and every question will be answered. They also have swap meet section where these cages are sometimes for sale. Or post a WTB ad for an air filter cage.
Answer to your question is 0.8 quarts. Or just remove side check bolt, level the bike and slowly fill until it comes out the check hole (slowly because it will fill side case first if you don't let it settle into center case).
Honda recommended 10w-30 or 10w-40; or alternate route is sae 30 above 59 degrees F; sae 20 or 20w 32-59 degrees F; sae 10w below 32 degrees F.
If you can't download my manual, the elsinore site now has the MR250 manual available to view as of this morning.

Last edited:

skyzo

Apr 1, 2010
Alright, thanks so much, the download worked, and that is a huge help. I cant wait until everything gets going good on this bike. the restoration is like 90% done, just need to find some side panels and that cage.
Thanks again

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If the k&n works, ride it till a cage comes up? I did not check the vintage sites, and there are more, I would bet they have a solution. Did you check if there are any MR only sites? Vintage Bob

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Arnaco said:
If you don't find a cage, I can fabricate one for you. I will need the filter for fitment. smligon@att.net

you'll probably need the airbox too, to do it right. The left side of the cage has a prong that slips into a holder in the airbox. The right side has a screw that you turn in to hold the cage in place. The front of the cage has a nice sticky material that seals it against the airbox. And then there is the nice oval clamp that holds the filter over the cage. Still one of the best setups I've ever owned. Easy and very effective.

Last edited:

Halfast816

Mar 21, 2005
Find an airbox on ebay with a filter and cage in it. I had the same issue with the cr480 I'm restoring. Wound up getting a better condition airbox filter and cage for what a new filter would cost me.

Top Bottom