FNG

May 2, 2008
Back when I was younger, and stupider I did the gas cleaning, dried it for 15 minutes then oiled with 20W50 and AWAY we went! Did this once a season on the Tri-Z 250, Quadracer 250 and 3 different Warriors over many years with no major failures!

Dumb luck? Probably some but hey, it shows how piss poor you can maintain these things and they still run! LOL!

Anyways, I do the dawn/hot water/dry for a day/oil in a bag trick as well. I am a 40 year old weekend warrior and for my type of riding and amount, this is just fine IMO. I do this more than once a season now though..

If I actually took this serioulsy, and could compete then I would have a couple filters to be fresh for every race.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Up until I started riding again a couple of years ago I always used gas to wash the filter, and then oiled it with 30/40 and used standard mineral grease as the lip seal. I also rode in sand a lot. I never had any issues, no abnormal wear, never any evidence of dirt getting through the filter, no abnormal marks on the piston. I now use No-toil and still have no issues, it costs more and it sure does seem a lot stickier, so I guess it must be a lot better, but like I said I had no issues with the old way either. What is needed is a use once and throw away item for a couple of bucks. I'd buy them coz i sure hate cleaning the air filter. I think the problems come when you don't clean it every time you ride.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Problems start when the filter has out lived its life, yes even the 20 dollar filter has a life. It will get impregnated with dirt that will not come out, and it will start to deteriorate. Keep the lip greased, unless you get a pro seal or a copy, and put some type of oil on it, depending on how often it gets cleaned. Some of the no gas theory is a safety concern, and a little for the greenies. Did I tell you about the time my son dropped the drop lite next to the freshly gas cleaned filter and it caught fire? What do you think would happen, a guy with a new thumper takes the back fire screen out, cleans the filter with gas? Did you guess back fire and bye bye bike? I do know a guy, he had to buy new plastics and an air box. That was not cheap! And too bad I found out about what gets through our skin and into our bodies from needlessly abusing chemicals? No toil type products have been the best thing since plastic gas tanks and power valves, imo. Vintage Bob

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i don´t know if the solvents of air filter oil are inflamable, but sure they can dissolve the oil on the ducts of cilynder.
let all the solvents evaporate after oil the filter for at least some hours...

Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for all the info guys... i just bought a uni air filter, i oiled the outer red filter real good but there is also a inner yellow filter in it... should i oiled that one to ?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom