May 3, 2008
What kind of air filter do you use?
What do you use to clean it and how?

Thanks ahead of time :cool:

d_alexand

May 14, 2007
cleaning filters

What kind of bike? 2 or 4 stroke?

They sell different brands of filter cleaners at the cycle shops which work really well. I've used the K&N stuff on street bikes and it's pretty easy to use.

I ride a cr250 2-stroke so I normally just use simple green since it has a foam filter. Gas cleans filters good and really quick, but over time it'll eat away at the glue used to hold the foam filters together so it's not recommended. For 2-strokes you can buy the ReadyFilters which come already oiled and 3 in a pack for $10.

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
bike storage

well i have to go back to school now so it is time to put the bike away. (I go to school 5hrs away from home so i can't ride it till after the term is over). I will be storing the bike from this Saturday till thanksgiving. I already put some fuel stabilizer in my last tank of gas. What else should i do when i store it?

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
drain the tank
and where do you get those ready filters?

oh, and its a 2 stroke engine :)

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
i wasn't aware of a different cleaning for 2t vs 4t. Thanks for the site Pred

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
jackflack44 said:
i wasn't aware of a different cleaning for 2t vs 4t. Thanks for the site Pred
there isn't any difference. I was being facetious trying to get that d_alexand cat to tell me where he got his misinformation.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Ready Racing air filters ROCK!! Pre-oiled, no mess, no cleaning, no sticky hands! :aj:

digifox

May 25, 2006
i`ll probably use the same method i did with RC filters

Hot water and Dawn dish soap :nod:

Only thing i`ve found that actually :cool: cuts the 2T oil

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
I use notoil and twinair filters (only because they are the least expensive)

http://www.notoil.com/

If using notoil;

Fill a container with warm to hot water, enough to cover filter. Dissolve notoil cleaner (oxy clean works just as good) into the water.

Knead filter until clean. If your filter is very dirty you may need to discard dirty cleaner/water solution and repeat with a fresh batch of cleaner/water solution.

Rinse with warm water until water runs clear.

Let dry. To speed up the dry time I spin mine in the washing machine.

Saturate the filter with notoil then completely wring out the excess.

Put the unused portion of oil back in the bottle.

Install and ride.

Let the filter air-dry for about an hour or two before riding. This allows time for the dispersing agent (rubbing alcohol) to evaportate.

If you use a petrolium based filter oil;

Clean the filter in your choice of solvent to remove the old oil and dirt it trapped. I use gasoline. I prefer using a small bucket with enough solvent to submerge the filter. Knead the filter a few times, sqeeze out the excess, dump the dirty stuff. (it's great for killing weeds growing in the driveway cracks) Repeat 3-4 times or until the solvent remains clear, and you can't feel any dirt in the bottom of the bucket.

Wash the filter in warm soapy water. I use dishwashing liquid. (dawn, joy ect...) Use the same bucket and method as with the solvent, just use warm soapy water. Repeat 3-4 times, sqeezing the filter and dumping the dirty water each time.

Rinse in warm water. Same method. Dump the dirty water each time. Repeat until the soap bubbles are gone. Their shouldn't be any dirt particles in the bottom of the bucket.

If the dirt is really imbedded in the filter I use the garden hose or the kitchen sink sprayer to remove it. Spraying from the inside of the filter, the water pressure pushes the dirt out the way it came in. I hold the nossle right up against the filter. Gentle pinching and kneading will get it all out.

Once the filter is clean, I spin dry (no water) it in the washing machine. Set the filter so the centrifigle force pulls from the inside out. (have the side that faces your carb, face the center of the washing machine) If the filter won't sit still, I prop it with a clean shop towel. It should be dry in a few hours after that.

Before oiling, I turn the filter inside out to see if I missed any dirt. "Plucking it" with your finger almost always removes it.

Don some latex gloves (found at home depot in the paint section). Place the filter in a clean bucket, pour the filter oil all over it. I use an 8X8 inch plastic bucket with a lid. Saturate it with your favorite oil, sqeeze out as much of the excess as you can and install. I don't grease the rim. You will have alot of oil left in the bucket. It's clean, so pour it back into the filter oil can to use next time. I use Twin Air filter oil.

This method only takes about 15 minutes, minus drying time of course. I clean my filter about once a week. I've used this method for a year and a half with no adverse effects to the Twin Air filter.

Hope this helps, Steve.

Top Bottom