cfspawn

Jan 19, 2006
HI everyone
just wondering about cleaning the air filter when using filter oil or spay i am prety fussy with maintance and wondering should i clean my filter every ride (with oil or spray) or once every 3-4 rides if anyone has any ideas that that would be great

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Well this more or less depends on the riding conditions. If it is dusty or pretty muddy I would recommend changing the filter after every single ride without exception, especially if you are riding on a track or out on the trail with a group of other riders who are kicking up roost and dust.. However if it is not too dusty or muddy you probably can get away with every other ride. If you plan to ride more than once between filter cleanings then you should always atleast give it a visual inspection after a ride to make sure it doesnt look too dirty. I personally clean my air filter after every single ride regardless of the conditions because I wash my bike after every ride, usually with a powerwasher, and that causes the filter to get wet and absorb water. You want to avoid running the bike with a wet air filter because that will allow the intake to suck in moisture causing further problems. At the very least remove the filter after washing to assist in the drying process and re-oil it to ensure it remains tacky. The job is not difficult but as we all know it is probably one of the least desireable maintanence tasks. What it comes down to is that the air filter is essentially the life of your engine, keep it clean and it will save you loads of hassel in the long run. In my opinion it is worth the little bit of time and hassel to clean it after every ride.

cfspawn

Jan 19, 2006
Absolutley! I totally agree i am just as fussy as yourself but just wasnt sure if the oil was designed to cut out the every ride cleaning routine all good! thanks

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Yeah I find that the oil on my filter is not as effective after a ride and then after it gets wet from washing it tends to lose some of the tackiness.

K.D.X.

Dec 21, 2005
You should absolutely do it after every ride! First, you have the filter that is soaked in oil, which is good. But then when you ride it the dirt is built up in and on the filter. That creates a restriction in the air flow. 2 or 3 rides later you might be so restricted in air flow that you will seriously alter the performance of the bike, possibly causing some damage.
That being said, you'd probably be okay without changing it every ride. But if you are a stickler for maintenance you might as well just make part of the process of putting a bike away after a days ride.
Just my .02.

Top Bottom