palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
Thought I'd share a couple pictures of my airbox after a soggy ride through the rain in a South Florida swamp. Even with the dreaded snorkel in-place, looks like I aspirated a bit o' swamp juice. Man, I can just imagine what it would look like had I frisbeed my airbox lid.
Gets me thinkin'...what exactly is the purpose of the snorkel?

Matt

Attachments

• kdx-ab-top.jpg
    kdx-ab-top.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 158

jruggery

Apr 6, 2003
I read somewhere (Dirt Rider, I think) that the snorkels that come stock on
some bikes are designed only to limit the amount of noise made from the bike's
intake and therefore make the bike run quieter. Pretty much everyone on this
site will tell you that they tossed the snorkel then either drilled holes in
the airbox lid or tossed it as well. Your bike will thank you.

palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
Braahp, It looks so good because the lid and snorkel were still in-place!

Jruggery, I've been following all the airbox mod, snorkel tossing posts for a while now and have heeded the advice. I drilled a couple of one inch holes in the lid but, until now, kept the snorkel in-place. I removed the snorkel over the weekend and rode the bike around for awhile. What I noticed most, to your point, is that the bike was ALOT louder. I don't know if it's any faster or more powerful, just couldn't tell, but the noise sure makes you feel like you're going faster!

Something obvious that really sucks about the snorkel is the way that it directs the air to one specific spot on the air filter. This is the only spot on my filter that was dirty after a couple of rides. I think I'll trim the bottom portion of it off right at the groove that holds it to the airbox and try it like that. This will still protect the airbox and will keep the airflow from hitting just one spot on the filter. Aww screw it, it's a goner!

Top Bottom