kawa

Sep 3, 2002
I have read the forum where alot of riders have removed the airbox lid but no one talks about whats done with the CDI unit that is mounted to the top. Where to remount?

MDA

May 27, 2002
Actually there is quite a bit on here about that very issue. One popular suggestion is to just remove the snorkle (comes right out), and then drill multiple holes in the cover. This allows more air flow without having to move the CDI unit.

Someone else mentioned at one point that there is a good mounting point on the chassis close by that would be a good alternative placement. Sorry I don't remember exactly where it is since I decided on keeping the lid and just removing the snorkle.

Keep searching, the info you are looking for is here somewhere.

-Mark-

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
All you really have to do is toss the snorkel and cut out about half of the top of the airbox lid. I cut out the entire recessed section towards the rear of the bike, about 3"x5". This is the recessed section that holds the snorkel.

Make sure the little rubber-sealed drain hole at the bottom of the airbox is free from dirt/mud/etc, so that if any water does get in, it can drain.

This allows you to keep the CDI box in the same location, and offers at least some protection from water.

The search capability on this site very useful for finding out details like this. I posted this same information before, so you'll probably find it. Give it a try, and good luck!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Here's mine, I like being able to put the lid back on when I pressure wash the bike.

I drilled a hole in the airbox and mounted it with a bolt and nut.

Attachments

• reg.jpg
    reg.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Wibby - Experience any problems running without an air filter? Probably saves on maintenance time not having to clean that bad-boy...

;)

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
Carb...

Wibby soaks a rag in gas before every ride and lets it drip into the motor :) This saves on possible jetting issues.

Getting a RB mod done?

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Wow! Wibby's CDI only has two wires running to it? What are those? 'Power' and 'spark now' trigger?

He told me he soaked it in old gearbox oil! ;)

BTW..some bikes have the VR (Virtual Reality module) mounted to the airbox. 'H' models have the CDI (Common Distributive Igniter) on the airbox and the VR mounted to a frame piece directly behind the airbox.

Last edited:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Getting a RB mod done?

I wish! Just changed to Boyesen Power reeds.

I hope my Virtual Reality module is in good working order for Saturday. I'll need all the help I can get. (After working Graveyard all night and then going riding with Carvr, to the same place we last road 124miles!) Yeah I'm asking for it :eek:
Do they still sell Vivarin?

Experience any problems running without an air filter?

Not really, you must not have seen my air filter... :confused:

Attachments

• primo-filter.jpg
    primo-filter.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 113

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
The filter doesn't look that old... what is being used to clean it that would make it separate at the seams like that?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom