Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I removed the airbox lids from both my 220 and my sons 200 today. I elected to remove the entire lid rather than modify it so I could reinstall if I was not happy. I was able to relocate the cdi to the cross member behind the airbox no problem. Our bikes seemed to run with a little more low end snap, and you can really hear the carb moving air, I don't know why, but removing the lid all together makes me a little uneasy
Question -
Do you all prefer to remove the entire lid or to drill holes in the lid and why.

Thanks for the replies..
Lew

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
You'll get votes for both options. I simply removed my lid and stuck it up on a shelf. I have had no poblems with water getting in, and as for the filter getting dirty quicker without the lid, well, if air can get in, so can dirt, so I don't agree with that argument.

freydog

Nov 17, 1999
Have not had any problems with water since removing the airbox lid almost 2 years ago. MX bikes have the exact same setup. I prefer removing it as opposed to drilling since you can put it back on at a later date if for some reason you get tired of the noise from the carb moving air.

With the lid on, the airfilter gets extremely dirty in a small area near the snorkel, much faster than the whole air filter gets dirty with the airbox lid removed. I think you can actually go longer between cleanings.

The increase in airflow can give you that lean bog "baaaawaaah" sound, and some hesitation. If you don't want to tinker with jetting, I'd at least consider moving your needle clip in the carb down one position. It might give you even more snap.

DJM67

Sep 14, 2001
Mine......

...........is cut in half, CDI is still mounted on the front half (which stays in place no problem) and the rear half is removed. This gives me a (little) bit more protection (should I say confidence) when doing water crossings. The front half should still stop most water getting in while having the rear half removed opens it up more than enough.

Top Bottom