dan12

Aug 28, 2007
I am about to buy a dirt bike very soon and i was wondering what kind of gear i need? Ex chest protector, pants, googles, helmet. Thanks.

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
The number one thing you need is a helmet, if you go on a track youll have to have boots, (you get what you pay for in boots) chest protector you don't need unless your riding with someone. googles are a must, and pants and a jersey and your set

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
A chest protector is a great idea, even if you never ride with anyone else. They can save your life if you fall on a stick or something. Generally, buy as much of the highest quality gear you can afford.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
Although its one of the first things that stand out, riding pants and jersey should be the last thing on the list. they don't offer much protection for the cost.
Gloves, on the other hand, are a must.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
yeah pants and jersey don't do anything but make you look cool. I will put this in my order of importance 1)Helmet and goggles 2)chest protector 3)boots 4)gloves 5)then pants and jersey. Chest protectors are great at blocking those crazy branches you see at the last second on the trails while you're riding really fast. They've saved my life a few times. Boots I believe are important regardless if you race or not. I've had my boots save my shins a few times, without them I'd have a broken shin here and there. gloves are important too don't wanna mess up your hands if you bail. That always hurts. Goggles are needed to protect your eyes and so you don't tear up from the speed. Pants and jersey just look cool and offer just as much protection as denim. I just think I look pretty cool in my pants and jersey.... But yeah hope that helped

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
What about knee protection? Its generally not considered one of the "necessary" items, but definately worth the $30 in saved pain.

May 10, 2007
i would also place pants higher then a jersey.

you really dont need a jersey. but pants dont rip easily and help if you slide at all.

also they keep you a lot cooler if your hot engine lands on your leg versus jeans.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
flyingfuzzball said:
i would also place pants higher then a jersey.

you really dont need a jersey. but pants dont rip easily and help if you slide at all.

also they keep you a lot cooler if your hot engine lands on your leg versus jeans.

+1

Oct 19, 2007
Depending how much money you have to spend on gear, with that being said my advise would be:

1.) Helmet and Goggles

2.) Good boots (save your ankle, shin, etc.)

3.) Thin Knee pads that fit inside your boot and under your pant.

4.) Chest protector, good if you ride with others to protect you from roost, even better if you hit a root and decide to hug a tree! Can save your A-- if a brance is going to pierce you like a spear!!

5.) Gloves!!!!!

In my opinion, the above gear is the required minium for riding!!

Additional/Optional gear:
1.) Elbow pads, I wear them when riding aggressive and rocky terrain

2.) Kidney belt, Helps support your lower back and will help create less fatigue!

3.) Pants and Jersey. You can always wear a old long sleeve T-shirt and some junk pants.

4.) Camel Back, keep hydrated on those rides!

5.) Thick moisture wicking riding socks!

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
A chest protector and helmet have to be at the top of the list, they both will actually save your life. Knee pads are so under rated, they save so much pain for so little.

mighz1350

Oct 29, 2007
So many doff opinions

seems to me like alot of you dont ride motocross tracks....especially those who placeshest protectors higher than boots, and also those who dont even mention knee braces....1-helmet 2-boots 3- leatt brace(very personal choice here) 4-knee brace...dont think youll survive too long without any of these things at a motocross track (dont know about trail riding)

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
mighz1350 said:
seems to me like alot of you dont ride motocross tracks....especially those who placeshest protectors higher than boots, and also those who dont even mention knee braces....1-helmet 2-boots 3- leatt brace(very personal choice here) 4-knee brace...dont think youll survive too long without any of these things at a motocross track (dont know about trail riding)
You didnt even put chest protector on your list, have you ever felt the spray comming off he rear tire of a 450, not to mention the number of massive rocks I have seen a tire throw at me. I think Kevin
Windham suffered a broken knee cap from a rock that a tire threw at him.....I guess I just need to get faster so I will not have to deal with the spray.

Pauloxxi

Oct 24, 2007
I think enough was already said, but about the pants, they do not really offer too much more protection than jeans,unless your are using the high end pants. BUT, there is always BUT, the pants will fit better in your boot. Jeans inside the boot kind makes uncofortable. Just my 2 cents.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
CHR!S said:
Although its one of the first things that stand out, riding pants and jersey should be the last thing on the list. they don't offer much protection for the cost.
Gloves, on the other hand, are a must.

I disagree, although they dont offer much protection for broken bones they will keep you from bleeding. Most beginners will have many slow falls in the dirt and along trails. When you fall in riding pants you may get a big bruise but they rarely rip, but when you fall in jeans they rip and you will get a big cut or open wound. As for jerseys, well they look cool, but do offer a little bit of protection in the trails when your riding in thick low hanging branches, again reducing the amount of cuts and scraps you will come home with. If your on a limited budget I would stick with the most important first, a helment and goggles. Then get some good gloves and boots. If you look in the back of the magazines you can find entry level riding gear packages for a good price. Usually comes with everything, boots, pants, helment, gloves, jersey, googles for a reasonable price. May not be racer quality but your probably not a pro racer. Oh, and dont forget walmart for boot socks! 2.99, Cant beat that.

Top Bottom