moabdaze

Aug 12, 2004
Hi,

I just purchased a pair of T8's and had a couple of ?'s. I was previously riding a cheap pair of Fox Trackers which had far less rise over the toe. This extra inch in the new T8's is causing some problems. I'm having problems getting under the shifter cleanly and am worried about missing up shifts. I currently have the shift lever set with the bottom of the shifter even with the top of the foot peg, which I believe is the correct set up. I considered moving it up a couple notchs on the shaft, but am worried if it's up any higher I might end up bumping it down/out of gear coming down from jumps.
Anyone out there run into this issue when changing to a thicker toe'd boot? Thanks in advance for your help. Keep on roostin!!!!!!!!

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Yep, I got the same problem. I had Tech 8's and I'm currently breaking in new SG-10's. I like my shifter high. As a matter of fact, I run it so high that I had to file a notch so it would clear the chain. I've never had the bike come out of gear though. And it shifts fine. It's getting pretty worn out as shifters do...I plan on buying an after-market shifter that will give me more adjustment. So far, all I've found are the Moose shifters and a company called "HammerHead" who markets "Shift-Tips".

Move it up as high as you need to as long as it clears the chain and you'll be fine. Good Luck.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Yep, I would certaily move it up. It will also help you keep from catching your toes on rocks/logs/stumps etc if you do any off road riding. The T8 is a great boot enjoy.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I moved my shifter up 1 notch. The Tech 8 has a pretty tall toe area. Moving mine 1 notch was enough. It took about 15 minutes to get used to it. I don't have a problem hitting it on landings or while riding track. It does seem to work better when standing on single track or just play riding.

soulmate33

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 29, 2004
I say "kick it up a notch" or look into www.hammerheaddesignsinc.com

They make billet shifter levers with offset tips that move farther foward.

I've been thinking of getting one. It seems like my Fastway pegs make it more difficult to get my boot under the stock lever. It kinda feels like the shifter is closer now.

moabdaze

Aug 12, 2004
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your input, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's experienced this. I'll move it up and see how that goes, should get used to it.
Hey, Tony91, I have tried the moose shifter and didn't care for it much and ended up going back to stock. I thought it would be better with the rubber on it for grip, but it's bigger than stock and in my opinion bulky. Just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks again all.

moabdaze

Aug 12, 2004
Hey, Tony91, I have tried the moose shifter and didn't care for it much and ended up going back to stock. I thought it would be better with the rubber on it for grip, but it's bigger than stock and in my opinion bulky. Didn't seem my shifts were as crisp, and if you ever like to shift with the top of your heel, forget it. Just my 2 cents worth.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
Moabdaze,

I broke my stock shifter this weekend at Budd's. I clicked up in to 3rd of the start and when I went to click back into 2nd...it snapped off. :bang: So Monday I called Hammerhead. The gentleman I spoke to was awesome. He asked questions and made recommendations. He even offered to take care of me if the one I ordered didn't suit me. I'm suppose to be getting it today or tomorrow (quick shipping.. Cal. to Maryland!) I'll post back with a review.

moabdaze

Aug 12, 2004
Definetly let me know what you think. I checked out the website and was thinking of ordering one myself. Let me know how it works for you. If it's good enough for Metz.... What offset did you end up going with? Keep on Roostin!!!!!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom