Alternate carbs for 220s?

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
I am considering a new KDX and I know that you can have the 220's carb bored to 36mm or get a 35mm 200 carb for it. I was wondering if there are any alternate carbs that work well from other models (KX, CR, YZ,.....). There are many carbs on Ebay selling fairly cheap are there any that work well on a KDX?

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Any Keihin PWK. They come on many other bikes--even Banshee's. You could run a similar sized 2-stroke Mikuni as well--this group would probably advise against that :P These guys (including myself) will be very helpful to you when it comes time to rejet your bike to make it run the way it's spota. If you were to swap a Mik on there you would be on your own and better know how to jet a carb. I prefer Mik's, but the PWK on the KDX is a great carb--nice and crisp--never swapped mine out. The 'RB carb mod' everyone talks about here is a good buy due to the fact that a divider plate is installed which increases atomization signifigantly.

First things first, go buy your first KDX!

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
Thanks for the reply. I grew up on Mikunis and never had a Keihin but I guess I don't have a preference. Anyone know of bikes with a 36 mm PWK carb?

Thanks again for the input. I have been off of 200s for a while riding larger bikes. I never had more fun than when I was on a 200 and hope to be riding a 200/220 next year.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
You'll want a small body PWK (up to 35mm) if you want it to bolt right up with no playing around and not have to be concerned with working out jetting from scratch etc etc. If you can't find one having your carb bored to 35mm+ will give you the same thing in the end.

David

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Wouldn't a new or used carb cost more than the $165 RB mod??? Plus you have all the jetting information you need right here for it.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Some have jammed in 38mm airstriker PWKs. ;) Haven't heard from dan in awhile. If that's the way you plan to go, ask him 'bout it (acutemp on DRN).

A 36mm on a 200 is a plenty handful. Depends on your preferences, I guess.

Sure Shot

Aug 20, 2000
A buddy of mine has a brand new 36mm carb for a KDX 250, does any one know if this will work on a KDX 220.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…