AMA -American Motorcyclist Magazine

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Has anybody else had the same reaction as me or am I overrecting? In the August issue of AMA's official magazine in the section Road Signs they have an artical about a guy racing a train at a crossing. He is bragging about how stupid he was- not saying he was wrong but bragging about his decison.
The writer is describing his ride to the race at Hangtown and how everyting is going wrong from oversleeping to being detoured because of an accident. He is now flying down a back road approaching a railroad crossing when he sees an approaching train and makes the calculation that he can beat it. He accelerates with his attention focussed "on the ominously looming locomotive". then he sees the crossing lights activate so he accelerates more to beat the droparm. Finally he hits the crossing goes airborn and flys right past the car stopped the other direction.

Oh well it was worth it because "it was a good day after all".

My 14 year old reads this magazine and altho I give him credit for being smarter than the author (or editor for that matter) I don't need the seeds of thought planted. As a cop I have been to and seen the results of these 'races' when the train wins and they aren't pretty.
My letter to AMA:
I joined AMA along with my wife and son several years ago in order to protect our rights to continue riding motorcyles and today in the American Motorcyclist I read an artical that sets this goal back years. In your August 2002 issue under the guise ofRoad Signs I read an artical "Igno-Second" in which you allow a fool to brag about his stupidity. Don Jenson brags about riding like a fool and culminating his ride by racing a train across a signalled railroad crossing.
As a police officer I have cleaned up the remains of to many idiots on bikes and in cars who took this chance and lost. For the official magazine of the AMA to condone this behavior is criminal. My support for AMA is drastically injured and as far as I am concerned please remove my family members from your mailing list before my 14 year old son reads this type of artical and makes the same error as Jenson.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Pretty stupid of them. Surprising, dissapointing.

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Oldguy, I don't think you'll be the only one to write in about that article. I bet it will be a major topic of discussion for the next issue. Usually the AMA magazine has better restraint than to print something like that, i was surprised to hear of it.

B

biglou

Wow. I haven't read mine yet. It's still sitting in the "library" along with a few other mags that I need to catch up on. I'll be sure to check it out and respond accordingly. Thanks for the heads-up, Dave.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I like scary stories. I think I'll let 'em slide this time. Anyway their magazine could use some spice. :)

And besides, the story was more of a warning against being stupid than a glorification of stupidity.

Last edited:

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Wes,
That is my take on it as well,
The guy tells a story of one stupid mistake in judgment after another.

Granted the article did not convey the point very well. :(

The title should have read;
"Ignore- (-ant) Second" so it would better define that ignorant split second decisions can have deadly consequences.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
That was my first impression, that it was a warning against stupidity, kinda like the writer/rider was at a point in their life were the reality of inmortality was smacking them upside the head.

Or better yet it's a Metaphoric story, The locomotive was Life/time, R/R crossing is were the rider and fate collide; and what you would do to stay one step ahead.

Damn, I bored

B

biglou

Agreed. I just read it and it seemed like a "Don't Do This!" article to me. They usually also have some good letters in the front of the mag with members telling their stories about really stupid, and nearly tragic, mistakes they have made in the past. I know I have a few... :o

Top Bottom