Combat767

It's all about the dirt..
Nov 20, 2001
Looking for clarification on what class an XR80 would race in motocross at an AMA sanctioned track? Looked through the rule book, but the motocross section doesn't seem to cover the smaller bikes and their displacements. I have a family member who is looking to put there son on an XR80 and was thinking he'd race the 65cc class. I'm guessing this would be ok, but wondered what the official stance from the AMA would be on the matter. Anyone know what the answer might be, or where in the rule book I could find this information?

Thanks in advance!!!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Combat that is a local district rule as much as anything. In district 16 (Wis) the XR80 is a redhead stepchild with no class to race in competitively. It is not leagal in the 65cc and would get killed in the 85cc. Apparently our rules don't have the 4 stroke allowance until you get into the 125 class.

Maybe send a PM to Wardy

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Wardy should have something on this - his son Travis races a CRF70 (I think it's a 70 - whatever bike he was on at DirtWeek last year?) in the 65 class.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
As per AMA rules the xr 80 can race in the 65cc classes anywhere in there is an ama sanctioned race. Its class 5, 52cc-65cc 2 stroke, 52cc-90cc four stroke.(7-11yrs old) I noticed the "storm" on your signature line, they not being an AMA race you would have to contact them directly for thier rules on the bike and class it would fit. youth rules page 44 in the ama rule book can clarify this more for you.

wardy

Top Bottom