RBSOB

Jun 24, 2004
Anyone tried this relatively new product for pre-mixing and what ratio are you mixing? My son and I are newly back into 2 strokes ( and loving it!) and are experimenting with different oils and ratios. Have heard people swear by Amsoil 2000 racing oil but couldn't find any locally, this Interceptor oil is supposed to be a 50:1 mix. A synthetic blend I think. Thanks, Jim G.

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
Even though it says you can mix it 50:1 you should still stick to the 32:1 recommended by the manufacturer. Running the mixture too lean will cause long term damage.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I swear by the Amsoil stuff. Burns cleaner than anything i have ever tried. It has been around they just renamed it Interceptor. The series 2000 is now called Dominator. Its ok to mix synthetics at 50:1. I use it at 40:1 to be safe because I scream/rev the heck out of my little 200. . At 32:1 it just doesn't run too well. Burns kinda like a wet log. You might try Mobil mx-2t. You should be able to find it anywhere locally. Its the only other oil I would consider using besides Amsoil.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
if your bike is jetted correctly you can run the amsoil 2000 at 32:1 without a problem. any oil for that matter. by problem i mean spooge and poor performance. i run that oil at 32:1 and i have very minimal spooge compared to my riding partners new kdx ( stock jetting), plus i can ride longer on a tank of fuel. i wouldnt run 50:1 try 36:1 or 40:1 if you dont want to fool with the jetting.

mikdxer

Mar 6, 2003
amsoil

I've run amsoil synthetic in my bike for over 1300 miles and have yet to foul a plug, of course it's jetted correctly. I have yet to tear down the top end so I don't know how it looks inside, but appears to run very clean. I mix mine at 40:1 which I think is a happy medium. I have changed plugs at 600 miles just to be sure my plugs haven't come apart on me though.

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
I think that I have read every thread about 2 stroke oil and mix ratios. I believe that the bike and what you are doing with it determines what fuel/oil ratio to use. IMO the faster that you move the fuel through the engine the more oil that you need in the mix. If you are a casual trail rider then 40:1 - 50:1 should be fine. If you are a hard core racer then 32:1 - 40:1 should do. Again, I think that it really comes down to how fast you are moving the fuel/oil through the engine. I'm no mechanical engineer or anything but I have done my share of wrench pulling and this is what I believe. I also get this general feeling from all of the threads. IMO a little bit more oil isn't going to hurt anything unless you start fouling plugs. I expect that can be remedied with jetting though. I don't have any data to back this up except what feels right. I don't know that 50:1 will actually hurt anything but at 40:1 or 32:1 I don't think it will hurt anything either.

I use Maxima Super M at 40:1 in my KTM 300 on trail rides, just play riding, and racing enduro and hs. I mix everything at 40:1 and I really don't care what the bottle says. Just stay with a good quality oil. There are lots of good oils. Amsoil, BelRay, Motul, Castrol, Mobil, Spectro, Red Line, Maxima, Klotz, Torco, Silkolene, etc just to name a few. Man, there are lots of them. Although I really don't care for Yamalube I guess it is a good oil too. Just stick with one that has a good reputation and is readily available for you. I probably wouldn’t use an oil designed for my homelite weed wacker.

There are some of these that will supposedly plug the power valve. I haven’t witnessed this first hand but have read several threads about it. Also, some folks prefer synthetics, some mineral, and some semi synthetics. I really can’t comment on the advantages or disadvantages of either of these. They all seem to work well as I don’t think that I have read anything about an engine failure because of using one or the other of these.

RBSOB

Jun 24, 2004
Tried it out this W/E mixed @ 40:1 as most have suggested. Excellent performance,very little smoke [only smoked after full throttle blasts thru several gears], NO spooge after 3 hours of mixed terrain riding. This is still stock jetting, air box modified. Haven't inspected the plug yet but very pleased so far. Thanks for the input guys, this site and you members are a great resource. Jim G.

Top Bottom