And yet another KX forks on a KDX question.....

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
I did a search and couldn't find exact answer to my specific question, so here go's...What issues will I have installing a Kayaba KX 250 forks , triple clamps and front wheel off o fa 1996 KX onto a 20001 KDX ??? Will I have issues with the steerer tube size and lenth and will the KDX front calaber fix these forks or will I need the KX calaber ??? I can get the forks.clamps and front wheel for 225.00 locally.. Would forks off of a 125 be better for my bike ???

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I installed 1996 KX125 front end to my 1999 KDX without much trouble at all. Having the whole thing like you have really helps. You will need to press out both stems and put the KDX stem in the lower KX triple clamp. The bearings will be reused if in good shape. A spacer will be needed on top of the nut that bolts the stem to the frame due to the length. You will see when you fit it all together. To shim up the difference in the smaller KDX stem to the larger hole in the KX upper triple clamp, stop off at a hardware or hobby store and get some shim stock. Basicly, that's all there is to it. If the KDX stem isn't a tight fit to the KX lower triple clamp, have the machine shop you are using to press the stems knurl the KX clamp. This reshapes the material and doesn't cut it. The knurled fingers then provide plenty of grip to to stem. My 1996 forks needed rebuilding and I recommend a spring weight of .42 if you are over 180 lbs and like to ride fairly agressively. I had Race Tech install gold valves, springs and fork seals. Good luck and if you have questions, I'm here to help.

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
skipro thanks for the info. Were you able to use the KDX calaper on the KX forks or did you have to use a KX calaper ??? Also you used 125 forks, will the 250 forks be overkill ?? I'm not sure what the difference between the two forks are. Did the KX forks raise the front end of the bike ??, if so how did you level the ride height ?????

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
While I could have used the KDX caliper, I sold mine to Jeff Fredette and bought a KX version off e B a y. I liked the way the brake line routed better and in the end, it costs nothing since I ended up selling mine for about what the KX cost me. Check on www.buykawasaki.com and check the parts differences. I'm pretty sure the only differences were spring rates; the 250 having stiffer springs than the 125. The 125 springs were too light for anything from fast 3rd gear work on up, speed wise. The KX forks did raise the front some. I simply adjusted by sliding the forks up the triple clamps.

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
thanks skipro, I'm working out the deals now.Possible winter project....now if I could just find that cherry 125 rolling frame...

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I used the kdx caliper, brake line, and master cylinder for the 96 kx 250 forks I have on my 96 kdx. I am 250ish lbs in gear and did big jumps with the stock springs. I would have never survived with stock suspension. Skipro3 did his conversion after mine. At 225 the whole front end is a good deal. Service and put new sliders in the forks before you put it all together. You will be shocked. The work fine in the woods too.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom