Another Clutch Basket question please help

ThunderGoat

Sep 16, 2006
I have my 1988 cr250 and i just put a new clutch basket in it cause the old one was all grooved and just non repairable. Anyways i put the new basket in and everything went fine but when i put it in first it is still hitting hard but not moving bike forward now. It is also hard to push in first and back wheel rolls but barely. I thought that basket would cure all that stuff so any suggestions on anything else that would make clutch drag still? I tried tightening clutch cable and that kinda worked..... any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Did you replace the clutch plates? OEM basket or aftermarket? Does the "drag" occur all the time or just when the bike is cold? Lots of little details but it will help diagnosis the problem.

ThunderGoat

Sep 16, 2006
well i didnt replace the clutch plates cause they still have life and they wouldnt make drag anyways i dont think, they just slip if they old. It is a hinson basket very nice. not sure on cold part need to ride it more to tell yea ..... i just got basket in last night and it was dark when i was done. I just started it put in first a few times and hear it hitting hard and when its off and its in first it doesnt like to roll very nice,.. the back tire is like still half engaged or sometthing. thx for your 1 replie... apparently not many people know too much about this or so it seems

02rm250

Uhhh...
Sep 25, 2006
Drag can be caused by warped metal plates. You can check the plates for warpage on a piece of glass. Lay the plate down and try to slide a feeler gauge under it. If you have a manual it will tell you what the allowable limit is.

crjohne

Feb 17, 2006
Hey,
I replaced the basket in my 90' cr250 w/ a hinson and had major problems w/ fitment also. While the hinson baskets for 92' and newer crs are apparently perfect, I believe the clutch in our bikes is very similar and might even be exactly the same.

The only way I could get it to fit somewhat correctly was to add a thinner washer between the inner hub and the basket. The likely problem is your plates are not able to separate enough to allow them to slide the way they should. On top of that,what I noticed is that, with the stock washer in place, you face the risk of the last friction plate sliding out of the fingers completely. When I installed the basket with stock washer, the bike would cut off when I put it into first.

I've been running the basket all season, and it does ok with that thinner washer, provided that the cable tension is to the point where it's a real pain in the ass to pull the lever.

I did a nearly complete rebuild of the bike last winter, and aside from a couple of wheel and swingarm bearings, this clutch basket is about the only thing keeping the bike from being almost 'like new'--needless to say, I'm still pretty pissed about that damn clutch basket.
Thundergoat: does my scenario sound anything like what happened w/ your bike?
Thanks,
-John

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
ThunderGoat said:
well i didnt replace the clutch plates cause they still have life and they wouldnt make drag anyways i dont think, they just slip if they old. It is a hinson basket very nice. not sure on cold part need to ride it more to tell yea ..... i just got basket in last night and it was dark when i was done. I just started it put in first a few times and hear it hitting hard and when its off and its in first it doesnt like to roll very nice,.. the back tire is like still half engaged or sometthing. thx for your 1 replie... apparently not many people know too much about this or so it seems
Just need more details. It's hard to troubleshoot a problem behind a monitor. I suspect that your plates are warped. 02rm250 gives a great suggestion. The problem you are having is common but each make may have a different actual cause. Good luck and let us know further details.

crjohne

Feb 17, 2006
Just looking at the posts by these posts by these other helpful folks. I seriously don't think warped plates are causing his problem if Thundergoat's situation is the same as mine.
The plates and discs I installed were brand new.
I'm convinced that there is a problem either w/ the design/manufacturing process on the specs for this particular clutch basket (88-91 CR250r), or I was sent the wrong basket?

ThunderGoat

Sep 16, 2006
thx for replies guys, john i saw same thing the last plate seemed like it was half way out of the basket and not in there all the way. So smaller washer fixed problem? i thought about that too but maybe a nice new set of aftermarket clutch plates and all that would fix it also. It has gotten better now since i rode it a little today but it is still not perfect. still hits kinda hard in first, still hard to push in first when its off. I agree though john that there is a problem with basket, i dont think it matches specs of old one cause last plate is half way out and i did eveything right, there is not a mm more room in there. so i guess ill try new plates and hope for best maybe. but washer is also a good idea. if new plates dont work.. its washer time. ps john im only getting new plates casue wtf might as well (i like spending money on my bike) and if that doesnt work washer time cause i believe that is problem, too

Top Bottom