tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
well, its taken me awhile to report in due to the trauma of major embarassment from the weekend. i hooked up with tony and jeff eeds for the journey out west to lake makenzie just south of amarillo. to start the trip off we had a little adversity at the fuel stop in the form of a flat on the trailer. that was quickly taken care of by jeff in no time. you know its not a trip without adversity. there was more to come for me. we got there midnightish and found the campground crowded beyond belief. well, ok it was just ken and that famous green tent. we quickly set up and crashed. woke up and headed to jeanettes place for some grub that was in both quantity and quality. we hooked up with derek, alan, neil (and crew), steven and tim. ok, we have been fed now and are ready to ride. derek leads us off and it isnt too long before ken watches me stall on a hill. i tried going up in 4th......it was ugly. then i watch ken fall off his bike as he tries to avoid running over me. i gave him a 9.7 on the dismount and roll. we all regroup and hit some more trails at a good clip as derek leads over all trails good and nasty. speaking of nasty.........we come upon this downhill strewn with nice adversity-sized rocks. i pick my way down to a little ledge and am looking down the hill when my front tire gets hung between two rocks. just like grabbing front brakes. over the bars i go and i finish the hill without the bike. im bent but not broke but is my bike ok? i just knew i center punched a rock through the case and i was going to pick up an exxon valdez. damn adversity....again. im embarassed but all is good. we take some pics and off we go. i finish the loop without further mishap. we get to camp and fuel the bikes and ourselves. at this point danman and tom show up for the festivities. allan starts organizing the poker run when we realize its been awhile since we have seen the eeds clan. we head back to the truck to organize a search party when we they come into camp........walking. this isnt good but we are relieved when it turns out that it is only a fuel related problem.........as in not enough of it. seems they found a way to run 20 miles in a manner that left them 3 miles away on the other side of the lake. the bright side of this was jeff got his shiny new boots broken in. hows them feets jeff? adversity once again. it took less than l2oz of gas to get both bikes back. hows that for being lost? we continue with the poker run which was terrific. remember this isnt a race........yeah right. the loop was a three miles or so and with 5 laps it became a hare scramble. i coudnt hang with derek or stephen but i felt good. off the bat i had ken and steven on my back so i let them go. i hung in with them and watched a pretty impressive race between them. finally, steve got around ken and was gone. i come around a corner and ken is picking his bike up. he says hes ok so on i go. it isnt too long before i come upon steven and he is transferring camelbak fluids via his internal camelbak. whoo hoo that leaves only derek ahead of me. i come back to this bowl section and lost the trail. i roam around for what seems like forever and i see derek on this ridge to my right. i figure out where i went wrong and take off. on the last lap im flying in the mesquite when one of those stickers stabs me in the end of my finger. blood oozes out my glove onto my clutch lever where it quickly becomes tacky. adversity makes for a great ride. we finish the hare scramble.......i mean poker run and my pair of queens gets beat. drats that 11 bucks was mine i tell ya. we trail off back to camp where one of ken/steves friend named boo is unloading a brand new ktm and wants to ride. i came to ride so im up for a ride before dinner. derek leads again followed by boo, steven, myself, and danman. off into the late afternoon we go. dust with sun in your eyes aka adversity sucks. still, another good loop all around. we get back to camp and hop in the trucks to make our way to the dinner table that jeannete has made for us. good gosh almighty! all that weight i lossed during the day went right back on. we told tales and ate till we couldnt eat anymore. the only thing we didnt get served at dinner was beer and that was waiting for us back at camp. we shook hands with derek and thanked him again for leading us through this great riding area. we had also lost ken, timv, neil (and crew), and steven before/after dinner. great riding with those guys. eeds clan, allan, danman, tom and myself made our way back to the camp where we made a mini dirtweek bonfire and tried to melt our empty beer bottles. productive bunch arent we? we call it quits when we burn the last of the wood. im asleep when some yahoos show up and unload their orv stuff. then a chain saw gets to going. there are two rules broken already. one is ripping up and down the road on a dirtbike and i recognize the sound of a polaris quad. the bike is ripping down the road when i hear it lock up so hard it kills the motor for a long pause before an awful crunch. there is silence then i hear someone calling someone an idiot for not wearing gear. im kinda laughing out loud. its 3am for petes sake and all of em are drunker than milk and pred put together. turns out it musta been a good crash because the park ranger was looking for them in the morning. turns out the crashers called 911 looking to get directions to the nearest hospital. we wake up and head up to jeanetts breakfast buffet. pancakes/eggs/bisquits/gravy/hashbrowns.........all you can eat. after doing our best to eat everything in sight, we jump on the bikes for a relaxed trail ride. allan takes over where derek left off as trailguide. we do a buch of trail and this time i get to watch the action. this is lil eeds second time to ride a dirtbike. hell, he is still not quite sure what all those levers and twisty things on the handlebars do. he did great but we did take him on a death ride for a newby. shame on you allan......hehehe. i was riding cleanup so i saw a some pretty good tipovers and saves by all. we put in another 15 miles or so and call it good. we load up our bikes and break camp. allan gets the most out of the bed of a truck. he put in a kdx, a pampera, klx110, and an xr50 in the back of a nissan frontier. the ride home was quiet as all of us were wore out. thanks again tony for letting me hop on the eeds express.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I miss McKinzie :( .

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Oh, the memories.  Cold enough to freeze....er.....Jeff Gilbert said it somewhere! :laugh: :thumb:

Image from McKenzie Fest Numero Uno.

Attachments

• dsc00609.jpg
    dsc00609.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 160

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by tx246
allan gets the most out of the bed of a truck. he put in a kdx, a pampera, klx110, and an xr50 in the back of a nissan frontier.

hehe, you forgot, there was a KDX50 in there as well.

It is always a pleasure having you there Jean - riding sweep is always fun, get to see some of the real good spills, I must have had the best view of you and Ken's incident - never seen someone dissapear so quickly down a hill backwards :p

I hope I didn't beat up too badly on Jeff, sounds like he survived well :confused:

Originally posted by BSWIFT
Oh, the memories.  Cold enough to freeze....er.....Jeff Gilbert said it somewhere! :laugh:

And to think the last two rides we have had great riding weather :moon:

Originally posted by BSWIFT
I miss McKinzie :( .

OK, brian, for the next one we'll let you pick the date ....... er .. like OldMaicoPhart !

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
The Adversity Report, lol! 

Sounds like you encountered all kinds of it on this ride but ended up having a great time nontheless!!  How could you not?, such a great group of people! I was surprised (okay not really) about the 3 am yahooo's on their polaris kicking up all that noise when sensible people were trying to get some sleep, sheeeesh. :silly:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom